Cluster connection issue - Web app to virtual server

• Hello All,

I'm having a problem with our web applications connecting to the sql db, virtual server cluster. I'm running SQL 2000, SP3a on an Win Server '03, SP4 cluster. The front-end web servers are Win2K, IIS 5.0 The web servers and the database servers reside on the same LAN/subnet and the front end can ping the back-end by either IP or sql cluster name successfully. The cluster name is self registered in dns.

The clustering piece is functioning properly and has passed all failover testing scenarios including the SQL Server resources. The ASP code is using a Globaldb include file to point to a production database. When I point any of 3 separate web servers to the stand-alone production sql server offering the same exact databases, users, logins, etc., IE makes the connections with no problem. When attempting to do the same to the clustered virtual server, I receive either a "500 Internal Server" error or a blank page that says "Done" on the IE status bar at the bottom of the window. No connection to the database is completed and the IIS logs register errors like these: The first example below is from a query attempt to our QCC Search on the site's main page. It was browsed from the local host on the web server. The second example was browsed from another workstation on the LAN, and tried to you the Search feature on the site, which queries the database. The site's main page has about 3 or 4 links that will query the database, and numerous other links as the teachers build lesson plans, or create activities, perform research, etc, where the databases are used.

IIS log example 1:

2004-10-01 12:23:34 10.1.17.120 - 10.1.17.120 80 GET /qcc/homepg.asp |391|80004005|Unspecified_error 500 Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+6.0;+Windows+NT+5.0;+.NET+CLR+1.1.4322)

IIS log example 2:

2004-10-01 12:31:41 10.1.26.16 - 10.1.17.120 80 GET /search/homepg.asp |149|ASP_0177_:_8007007e|Server.CreateObject_Failed 500 Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+6.0;+Windows+NT+5.1;+SV1;+.NET+CLR+1.1.4322)

Here's an attachment of the short log I generated this morning with other examples of script time-outs, and that sort of thing.

One note: When the cluster was built and sql was installed, I copied the databases over from the stand-alone production box, to the new cluster instance. Afteward, I had orphaned users on thedatabases that I had to repair by using the 'sp_change_users_login' stored procedure. Is there a way I can test to make sure the users are functioning properly, and that this is not the problem.

The site can be viewed here: http://glc.doe.k12.ga.us. You can see how the QCC and Search functions work when querying the stand-alone sql server that is in production. The cluster is supposed to replace this server so that we can have a high availability solution, since this is the most extensively used site of all sites owned by the state of Georgia DOE. It's a very valuable resource to educators in GA as well as other states, and other parts of the world.

Thank you much!

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Not much help but read through article at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q306518 

Try an connect from web server with a tools which give more information on the error and try the same security accounts as the web pages will use.

• I'll give it a shot and hopefully find the problem. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Can you just write a small vbscript and verify that there is nothing wrong in the connection string which you have mentioned. Try also logging into the server through query  analyzer with the username and password to verify that they are correct.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply