Cluster Question - Adding Node

• It has been awhile since I have done this and thought maybe someone here has an answer....

When adding a node to a cluster, say Node 'B', are the SQL Server executables transferred to the new node or do you need to install SQL Server on Node 'B' first.

We have a full text problem on active/passive cluster and I want to rebuild the two nodes.  What I am afraid of is that the problem may stay if I follow this strategy..

1. Remove (evict) Node B.
    2. Remove SQL Server from Node B
    3. Add Node B to the cluster
    4. failover to Node B
    5. Remove (evict) Node A.
    6. Remove SQL Server from Node A
    7. Add Node A to the cluster

"Keep Your Stick On the Ice" ..Red Green

• You have to install SQL Server on Node 'B' first. Adding Node B to cluster doesn't do anything with transfering executable files and modifying registery on Node B. It is not painful step though. You can just put the CD in on either node and run the setup and it will ask you add another node for SQL to be failover. And then it will copy the file and all should work. However there is some more work to do assuming you have service pack installed, you have to run the service pack again to have same service pack level on both node. Otherwise, you will have SP# on Node A but you will have SP0 on Node B

Here is the step.

1. Remove (evict) Node B.
    2. Remove SQL Server from Node B
    3. Add Node B to the cluster
    4. Run SQL Setup to add Node B
    5. Apply Service Pack
    6. failover to Node B
    7. Remove (evict) Node A.
    8. Remove SQL Server from Node A
    9. Add Node A to the cluster

Now, I don't know what kind of full text problem though. I can't say that will fix the full text problem. That is whole other issue though. I do this kind of evict stuff to change H/W but fixing FT stuff.

• Thanks...

I have been through this process for hardware upgrades as well.  It was very simple to go through.  I am kind of hoping it will help the full text situation.  We have been through everything else (and the sad part is that it was microsoft who broke full text in the first place..and they can't come up with a solution to fix it).

Long story...

Jeff

"Keep Your Stick On the Ice" ..Red Green

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply