Clustered Indexes and Disk Storage

• Hello

I hope my question make sense.

I'm trying to get a better understanding of how data in a clustered index is physically stored and moved around on disk.

If you insert a new record toward the top of a clustered index on it and (for this discussion) the pages are all full, would this cause every subsequent page to physically move the last record of data from one page to another on disk or would another page be created which would be linked in to the index to prevent having to physically move all of the data on disk or does something else occur?

Thanks in advance.

Todd

• Sql server does not move 1 row from each page it does what is called a page split. It will move roughly half the rows on the first page to another page leaving all other pages alone.

Please Read

Books online

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/createdb/cm_8_des_05_9ak5.asp

• H!! Toad ,

In clustered index while inserting new record it will be put in order ..moreover if the page is full

the page splitting will occour and approx half data from the page is moved to the new page .Nothing else will occour .

regards,

Vinod S.R (DBA)

HTC Global Services

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply