Clustered SQL 2005

• I have a two node SQL 2005 cluster. When I connect to the instance via surface area config tool I dont see a few items which I am able to see in a non clustered SQL 2005 instance. e.g. Analysis Services, Itegration Services, SQL Browser are missing. So I am not able to tell what is their status via this tool.

Is this default behaviour of surface area config tool when running in a clustered environment?

thanks

• I don't think it is default behaviour...

Are you sure you installed all of these on a clustered server?

Check the services mmc, if they are installed you should see related services...

MohammedU
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• When you connect to the cluster name you will see the clustered resources only. If you connect to the node name (host) you will get all the services installed on the machine. However you can not configure them.

Regards,

Moreno

• I have found SAC to be very reluctant to display all the SQL services.  One sure way I have found to upset it is install SQL 2005, uninstall it, then reinstall - SAC now displays very few services.  Another is to do an upgrade in place from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005 - SAC normally refuses to run!  No doubt there are more ways than this...

It is just as well that anything SAC can do, you can do in SQLMS using sp_configure.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• behaviour is same whether I am on the clustered instance or on the active node. Still dont see those missing items.

• I have experienced the same thing about SAC in the my cluster environment. I had tried re-install the entire SQL setup thinking that something went wrong during the installation. That did not help. I call PSS and they have proved in their lab that this is "normal" for cluster environment.

• Interesting. I wonder if everyone else is also experiencing the same thing. I also have a test cluster in which I see Analysis Services but dont see integration services or sql browser. this is really weird.

• Good to know this but I checked on MS site with no luck..

MohammedU
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• Is there any workaround for this issue? I see the exactly same issue in my enviroment

• I dont see any reason as to why you need to have Integration services and Analysis services as a part of the clustered services.

• Happen in the other node? Sure you install integration, browser etc in the two nodes?

Raúl

Spain

• I had this same problem on a SQL 2005 cluster server.  I wasn't able to see all services in the Config Manager or SAC.  After working with Microsoft for 4 months it turned out to be a group policy issue.

I hope that helps point you in the right direction.

Toni

• I think I am getting close to why SAC does not display all services.  It looks to be a permissions issue, but I have not yet completely identified the cause.

Recently I was logged on to box A and used the W2003 Services applet on box A to connect to box B and look at the SQL services, as I wanted to start one of them.  Not all of the services were visible.

I then logged on to box B and opened SAC, and had the same list of SQL services in SAC that were visible using the Services applet from box A.

Finally I started the W2003 Services appled on box B and could see all the services.  I was then able to start the SQL service I needed.

From this I am assuming that SAC uses the same mechanism to find available services as is used by the Services applet when run remotely.  I have previously found that remote use of the Services applet requires specific permissions to be set up to access all services, so I am assuming the same solution will fix both these issues.  All I need now is the time to find that solution...

Is anyone else able to confirm or disprove if the reduced list of SQL services seen in SAC matches the list of SQL services seen with remote use of W2003 Services applet?

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/223c3a59-84c3-4f60-be98-a8daf69e9473(SQL.90).aspx

how to set up SSIS on a cluster. works just fine.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply