clustered sql install error

• Hi I have a 2 node w2k3 advanced server sp2 cluster. We are trying to install sql server ent. ed. and keep receiving the below error.

the task did not appear to start on machine:

From what we can see all permissions are setup correctly. Due to business rules we are sitting behind a firewall with stricter rules and feel this may have something to do with it but we cannot figure it out.

any assistnce will help.

• I had the same problem yesterday. I found two solutions on the net but I'm not sure which one led to my ultimate success.

1. Try using a domain admin account for your install. Once I did this my install was successful. Everything I've read though, said that I don't have to be a domain admin, just that I have to be local admin on both nodes which I was.

On the second node I opened Control Panel, scheduled tasks, and there was a task from the install that wouldn't run. When I changed the task run id to a domain admin login it started to run.

2. Make sure there are no remote (telnet) connections to the second node. I'm not sure about this one. I had rebooted between attempts and that would have cleared the connections.

• You're going to think I'm nutts but this will most likely solve your problem.

I am assuming you are installing in your first node? Correct?

If so, then log everyone off from your second node. There should be NO rdp/terminal sessions open on the second node....PERIOD, telnet or otherwise. Not even on the console!

Do not log into it or anyone else log in during the long process to install SQL on a cluster.

Then start your install of SQL. It is best to be logged in with an account with Domain Admins and Local system Admin rights.

Trust me on this one.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply