clustering

• I have a choice to go with either 2 DB Servers or 4 DB servers in a clustered environment.

Rules:

- I want minimum 2 DB working at the same time serving data to a bunch of ISS boxes.

- I want the flexibility to put another DB server in the cluster if load gets higher over time.

What is the best solution?

What is the cheapest solution?

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• your post is pretty generic. Are you saying you have two databases - running on the same SQL Server - that you want to have running at the same time? If so, An Active/Passive cluster of 2 nodes will work fine - and is the cheaper of the 2 scenarios you mentioned. Of course, this doesn't take into account how big your db's are - what kind of volume is hitting them - you might want to go Active/Active - one database on each node - that will be more expensive - since you'll have to buy 2 copies of Enterprise Edition SQL - regardless, you can still do it with just the two nodes - in this case, 4 nodes would probably be overkill. We're currently serving 2 db's on an Active/Passive setup - works well, very reliable, not difficult to setup or manage. Hope this helps?

Nick DeAngelo

Scientific Games

• When implementing a 4node cluster, you may also consider your OS. I think Win2K Advanced Server supports only up to 2node. You have to go to Datacenter to implement a 4node.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply