Clustering

• Hi Experts,

I want to implement clustering for one of our client and i have never done that before.Can you provide some tips,white papers and some good links that helps .Am using SQL Server 2005 standard Edition.

Thanks in Advance

• Ratheesh.K.Nair (9/15/2008)

Hi Experts,

I want to implement clustering for one of our client and i have never done that before.Can you provide some tips,white papers and some good links that helps .Am using SQL Server 2005 standard Edition.

Thanks in Advance

Hi,

You should have a look at SQL Server 2005 Books On-Line, which has a great section covering clustering.

Also, here's a good link to get you started: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=818234dc-a17b-4f09-b282-c6830fead499&displaylang=en

Thanks,

Phillip Cox

• might i suggest if you have access to a virtualisation technology have a go at clustering on a couple of test servers before implementing. Virtual server Enterprise 2005 will happily support a 2 node cluster

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• I found these useful...

Building a cluster in Windows 2003

Installing SQL 2005 on a cluster

• Your client is likely to look to your organisation when there are problems with the cluster setup, particularly during the warranty period of the sale. They will also want to practice failover and failback, etc.

Unless you want to answer "Ermmm" and "don't know" to these questions, you need to have someone in your organisation who has had hands-on experience of clustering, and can advise on best practice. If you have no-one, then hire a contractor with suitable experience, or make time for someone in your organisation to learn the skills.

If you do not have the kit to practice clustering then buy it - You can get a 8-core 16 GB midi-tower box for GBP 1650, and Technet for GBP 250. This will give you the hardware and software you need to set up a multiple node cluster under Hyper-V.

If your customer expects you to come up with a working solution for their problems, you had better be as sure as possible your proposals will work.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• I found this site very helpful to get you up and running and explaining what you need to know.

Please note that SQL Server is cluster aware, i.e. the clustering is done by Windows, not SQL Server.

Feel free to ask more questions here. I have clustered 100's of SQL Servers and it has many pitfalls and short comings.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply