Clustering Issue

• Hi all

When setting up my SQL 2008 cluster I am getting an error that the IP address is already in use during the install. The IP I am using has been setup for me by our infrastructure team and is on the same subnet as my windows cluster and is against the LAN on the same subnet as indicated in the Network part of Cluster Failover Manager.

So far we haven't managed to find anywhere in AD that is using this IP nor can we ping it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

• This is nothing to do with AD. Check your DNS server and more specifically, your reverse lookup zone for that subnet, it'll probably be in there!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Our network guys have been unable to find the IP address in DNS and so gave us another one to try, but we are getting exactly the same error. We can't ping it or find it in DNS. :S

• Kwisatz78 (11/4/2010)

Hi all

...The IP I am using has been setup for me by our infrastructure team and is on the same subnet as my windows cluster and is against the LAN on the same subnet as indicated in the Network part of Cluster Failover Manager.

When you say "the IP I am using has been setup for me by our infrastructure team" is the IP address resource already created in the Cluster Manager? If so then that is why you will see an IP in use message. SQL Server creates that resource during it's installation process. Delete the IP address resource from cluster manager and try the SQL Server setup again. The same is true for the Server Name resource. I have seen SysAdmins create the Name and IP address resoruces in Cluster Manager when I request both for use in a new SQL Cluster. They didn't realize SQL Created those resources.

• Hey thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the resource does not already exist in failover manager, I am creating the cluster from scratch. I have created the Windows Cluster and that is all at the moment.

In any case we have tried another IP given to us by our infrastructure team and am getting the same error.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply