Clustering Services

• Okay, I'm confused. Let's say someone tells me to shut down "clustering services" on an active/active 2005 cluster. Where do I find it and how do I shut it down?

I do not see a separate service when I look under Computer Mgt/Services. All I see are the standard data/agent/full text/browser services.

And when I go to the Cluster Administrator, I do not see anything that looks like a "clustering service". Anyway, if you can tell me where this is, I'd appreciate it.

• There is a "Cluster Service" in Windows for a cluster and that may be what they're referring to. If there's any doubt I would ask them to clarify to make sure you're doing the right thing though.

• CAUTION: be careful and don’t try anything similar on PROD environment if you are unsure.

• As previously stated, clarification is the key

Do they want you to shut down a "clustered Service / application" on one server?

If so you can just right click the requested clustered service / application and take offline.

Do they want you to shut down "all clustered services / applications" on both servers?

In this case you can go to each node under Cluster Administrator (2003) or Failover Cluster Manager (2008) and select "Stop Cluster Service"

If this is a production server MAKE SURE YOU HAVE WRITTEN AUTHORIZATION FROM A MANAGER before attempting anything, and if you have a QA \ DEV environment to test on first, then great.

Hope this helps.

• simonrichards74 (5/1/2012)

As previously stated, clarification is the key

Do they want you to shut down a "clustered Service / application" on one server?

If so you can just right click the requested clustered service / application and take offline.

Do they want you to shut down "all clustered services / applications" on both servers?

In this case you can go to each node under Cluster Administrator (2003) or Failover Cluster Manager (2008) and select "Stop Cluster Service"

If this is a production server MAKE SURE YOU HAVE WRITTEN AUTHORIZATION FROM A MANAGER before attempting anything, and if you have a QA \ DEV environment to test on first, then great.

Hope this helps.

Thx! This is dev and we need to do Windows Updates. So I want all services and anything to do with SQL Server turned off while they do that.

Also, after I do "Stop Cluster Service" on each node, do I then stop all SQL Services (data, agent, browser, etc.)? Or is it the other way around?

• Stopping the cluster services / clustered SQL service should stop all of your SQL services. If any of the SQL services have not been added into the cluster you will need to stop these manually using configuration manager once your cluster is stopped.

You should be good to go after that.

• Whisper9999 (4/30/2012)

Okay, I'm confused. Let's say someone tells me to shut down "clustering services" on an active/active 2005 cluster. Where do I find it and how do I shut it down?

I do not see a separate service when I look under Computer Mgt/Services. All I see are the standard data/agent/full text/browser services.

And when I go to the Cluster Administrator, I do not see anything that looks like a "clustering service". Anyway, if you can tell me where this is, I'd appreciate it.

Windows 2003 or Windows 2008?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" πŸ˜‰

• Perry Whittle (5/1/2012)

Whisper9999 (4/30/2012)

Okay, I'm confused. Let's say someone tells me to shut down "clustering services" on an active/active 2005 cluster. Where do I find it and how do I shut it down?

Windows 2003 or Windows 2008?

• How many cluster nodes?

What quorum type?

Are you required to shut down the clustered SQL server instance or the cluster node(s)?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" πŸ˜‰

• Thx! This is dev and we need to do Windows Updates. So I want all services and anything to do with SQL Server turned off while they do that.

Also, after I do "Stop Cluster Service" on each node, do I then stop all SQL Services (data, agent, browser, etc.)? Or is it the other way around?

this is definitely not how I would do this...

stopping the windows cluster service will likely break/stop everything, yes... but it's like hitting the power button on the machine rather than using shutdown from within windows πŸ™‚

If all you want to do is as you say, take everything offline so you can do windows updates, simply take all the clustered applications offline via the cluster administrator. (anything listed under the Services and applications node)

this should be all you need.

• A lot of Windows OS updates are cluster aware, some are not. My advice is to disable SQL Server from starting in cluster adminsistrator while patching. DO NOT disable the clustering service itself - there are processess in the background that perfrom node update(s), registry update(s) and other "stuff". It is my guess that patching a windows cluster without the cluster service running will probably break it.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply