Clustering SQL 2008 Hardware VM

• Hi ALL,

I am trying to learn clustering. Can I do all of this on one machine with VM's installed? Is the hardware requirement of one machine sufficient?

• yes it is. message me an email address and i'll send you my guide

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• You can definitely do this. I've got 4 VMs on my notebook. One is a Domain Controller, one's a SAN and the other 2 are the clustered servers. Memory tends to be a bottleneck, but you can use a flash drive as extra RAM.

This is a nice way of doing things if you want to keep the system out of your normal domain.

I must say I didn't build this, it was built by a work mate who then gave me all the relevant files.

Cheers

Leo

Leo
    Nothing in life is ever so complicated that with a little work it can't be made more complicated.

• My email address is suri.yalamanchili@gmail.com. I appreciate your help in providing the guide.

Thanks,

Suri

• Suri, would you pls revert back to this forum if you are successful in implementing failover using VM.

I had tried and ran into issues as my base OS was Windows 7. Just curios, if this is possible on Windows 7 using VMs.

M&M

• I am interested in seeing how you implemented. Thanks.

• I am still setting up the VM's . I am waiting on Mr Perry Whittle who has a guide to do this. You could send him a message to , he is up in the post

• Hi,

Can you also send me a copy of the guide to my email address? It's sachinsamuel@gmail.com

Thanks a million in advance.

Regards

sachin

• suri.yalamanchili (3/7/2011)

My email address is suri.yalamanchili@gmail.com. I appreciate your help in providing the guide.

Thanks,

Suri

Mahommed can you supply more info on the set up you were using?

What hypervisor software were you using?

How much RAM on the Windows 7 host?

what version Windows 7 you using?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Perry Whittle (3/6/2011)

yes it is. message me an email address and i'll send you my guide

Any chance of turning this into a SSC article? I'm sure there are plenty who would be interested.:-)

• Thanks for the link Steve. I was looking for something more from the virtualisation angle and came up with this which seems a good starting point.

• rjohal-500813 (3/8/2011)

Perry Whittle (3/6/2011)

yes it is. message me an email address and i'll send you my guide

Any chance of turning this into a SSC article? I'm sure there are plenty who would be interested.:-)

It's far to large to be an SSC article, although

... It could be split into parts maybe?

There's a thought, hmmm leave it with me 😉

• I found this really helpful: http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1687

• JKG (3/8/2011)

I found this really helpful: http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1687%5B/quote%5D

That guide's good, but mine's better 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply