Code Camp Thoughts

• Some groups (like our group in Wash DC / Northern VA) belong to other organizations as well.

There's a list of groups on our site (it's probably not a complete list)

http://education.sqlfarms.com/ssug.aspx

• Omri Bahat is a perennial fixture at local and regional Code Camps in the Mid-Atlantic region. He helped us get started right in Richmond, and our events continue to grow! Saturday is going to be awesome! (And I look forward to learning more from you Saturday, Dr. Bahat. )

Christi, you may wish to contact your local Microsoft Developer Evangelist there in Orange County. If you cannot find this person let me know (andy at vsteamsystemcentral dot com) and I will put you in contact with someone who can help.

Experiences and opinions vary as to the usefulness and proper care and feeding of user groups, code camps, and the developer community at large. I think the success of any developer community is a function of the people / personalities involved. I credit Brian Knight with introducing me to the developer community in Jax and demonstrating what's possible. I brought that enthusiasm with me when I returned to Virginia two years ago and have seen that model grow.

There's something organic about the nature of our communities. Almost like "build it and they will come". And I've found it takes a group of individuals that work well together as a team to pull off monthly meetings and code camps - it's too much work for one person.

Having a good team / committee allows for one or more people to have some downtime away from the administrative activities of the group. Sometimes people need the break or just get busy with other stuff. Penalizing leaders for this is not a positive response and no good will come of it. Build backups and co-responsibility into the leadership structure - you'll be glad you did.

:{> Andy

Andy Leonard, Chief Data Engineer, Enterprise Data & Analytics

• Thank you to the two Andy guys, I never knew these groups existed!

I think it would be fun to meet once a month do discuss all things data.

I do believe all you who have over 10 years experience can help us novice DBA/DB Programmers.

I read threads on this board and have learned a lot. I have been doing so since 2003.

Off to look up the groups!!!! YAY!

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply