CoInitialize Has Not Been Called

• Anyone ever get this. I get it when I am trying to copy (Cntrl C) something from a table ie customerNo 122334.

OR I get it sometimes when I am putting an extra table in a query after I have opened the table and want certain records.

I am running SQL 7.0 on Windows 2000 Pro

• This is an error message that comes directly from from the application (it is a C++ message based are trying to initialize a COM object). If you are getting the message then you have a com object (dll) that is either the wrong version, corrupted in the registry, or just corrupted. I would first try reinstalling EM to see if this fixes, if not find someone with C++ coding experience who is familiar with trouble shooting com app objects (too much for me to explain).

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• Thanks very much for your response. I will re-install

Scott

• Let us know what happens.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• Ok got this message today on a user PC and was able to troubleshoot directly. The message is "CoInitialize was not called", after some looking I found that sqlmmc.dll was not acting properly (com spy) so I ran REGSVR32 against it and all was fine. The user was also unable to create views in the view builder.

• I have also gotten that error several times before. Normally, I just close EM and reopen it. Everything seems to work fine after that.

Jason

• Sorry its taken so long to reply. I had problems with EM yesterday and completed a re-install and it seems to have fixed this problem also. Did also install SP3

Thanks

Scott

• I've seen this problem on the SQL Server 2000 tools from time to time as well. In that case applying the latest service pack usually fixes the problem because some of the DLLs with missed registrations are re-registered.

K. Brian Kelley

bkelley@sqlservercentral.com

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bkelley/

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply