Collation error after restore

• Hi All

We just had a customer who's SQL server crashed. After the crash the master database became corrupt and we had to reinstall the database and restore the master. It took some time, but we got it done.

However now we cannot see the propertise in the databases and we get the error:

Cannot resolve the collation conflict between "SSQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS" and "Danish_Norwegian_CI_AS" in the equal to operation.

I have tried to change the collation on the user database to match the server collation and it did not help. So I am worried that it might be the collation of the master database that is wrong. So do anybody know if my assumption is correct, that problem is caused by the collation of the master and if so is there a way to change the collation of the master database without reinstalling the SQL server once more?

Kind regards

Bo

• The following link talks you through changing the server collation (or master db collation)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms179254.aspx

It is a relatively complex task with quite alot of work and it won't be possible to do this without downtime to the server.

What was the server collation before the rebuild?

Gethyn Elliswww.gethynellis.com

• Changing the collation of the user databases won't help - it only affects new tables that use the default collation. You would need to change the collation of all the exiting character columns - and risk causing other problems.

The problem is that system databases (especially tempdb but also master and to a lesser extent msdb) have a different collation to your user databases.

Check the collation of the user databases and I would then re-install sql server rather than try to change the system databases collation then re-attach the databases. It shouldn't take long and is pretty simple.

Cursors never.
    DTS - only when needed and never to control.

• Check below for a possible solution which may be a reinstall as stated by the previous user.

http://dbaspot.com/f3/sql-login-user-collation-conflict-396969.html

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Have you ever try to restore model database as well? I am have same issue before, after restoring model database, it is back up normal.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply