Column aliases

• Stewart "Arturius" Campbell (9/2/2015)

Methinks thisis going to turn into an interesting discussion.

Thanks fot the question, Steve

I'm thinking that your thinking is right. 😉

I wonder if this counts as an aliasing twice or three times:

WITH cte(EmployeeID, Name) AS (

SELECT ID UselessAlias, Name

FROM dbo.Employees

)

SELECT EmployeeID SomeID, Name

FROM cte;

Inside the CTE, the ID column is being aliased as UselessAlias.

Its being returned from the CTE as EmployeeID. Would you call this an alias?

In the outer SELECT, its then being aliased as SomeID.

So, would you call this 2 or 3 aliases?

• Steve,

The "correct answer" is incorrect depending upon how you define 'different'.

The 'correct answer' is incorrect depending upon how you define "different".

The 'correct answer' is incorrect depending upon how you define [different].

😀

• Bobby Russell (9/2/2015)

Steve,

The "correct answer" is incorrect depending upon how you define 'different'.

The 'correct answer' is incorrect depending upon how you define "different".

The 'correct answer' is incorrect depending upon how you define [different].

😀

It's yet another skunked question.

• I answered based on remembering that blog, but personally think the complete list is 13

(=, AS, or ' ') * (no delimiter, ', ", or []) + 1 for CTE.

• I am guessing that Aaron did NOT convince Steve to use = instead of as. 😉

I have to say that I disagree with Aaron on this. I find it obtuse to say alias = column. It looks like setting a value to a variable to me.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange (9/2/2015)

I am guessing that Aaron did NOT convince Steve to use = instead of as. 😉

I have to say that I disagree with Aaron on this. I find it obtuse to say alias = column. It looks like setting a value to a variable to me.

+1. I always use AS, and try to make sure my colleagues do, too. = looks like an assignment to a variable or a comparison; while using neither makes it less clear, and sometimes looks like they forgot a comma instead of wanting an alias.

• Ed Wagner (9/2/2015)

Stewart "Arturius" Campbell (9/2/2015)

Methinks thisis going to turn into an interesting discussion.

Thanks fot the question, Steve

I'm thinking that your thinking is right. 😉

I wonder if this counts as an aliasing twice or three times:

WITH cte(EmployeeID, Name) AS (

SELECT ID UselessAlias, Name

FROM dbo.Employees

)

SELECT EmployeeID SomeID, Name

FROM cte;

Inside the CTE, the ID column is being aliased as UselessAlias.

Its being returned from the CTE as EmployeeID. Would you call this an alias?

In the outer SELECT, its then being aliased as SomeID.

So, would you call this 2 or 3 aliases?

The question ask about SELECT and not CTE.

• handkot (9/1/2015)

I think the same thing

AS Alias And AS 'Alias'

also i can write AS [Alias], or write CTE

so there are only three ways: "=", "AS" and column

This is where I went with it also, but included '' (i.e. no column name) as a 4th option:

minutes/60.0,

I realize this isn't naming a column, but thought it might be a "trick" question.

• Xavon (9/2/2015)

Sean Lange (9/2/2015)

+1. I always use AS, and try to make sure my colleagues do, too. = looks like an assignment to a variable or a comparison; while using neither makes it less clear, and sometimes looks like they forgot a comma instead of wanting an alias.

I agree with both of you. To me, column AS myname is the easiest to read quickly and understand you are seeing a column alias.

[font="Tahoma"]Personal blog relating fishing to database administration:[/font]

[font="Comic Sans MS"]https://davegugg.wordpress.com[/url]/[/font]

• david.gugg (9/2/2015)

Xavon (9/2/2015)

Sean Lange (9/2/2015)

I agree with both of you. To me, column AS myname is the easiest to read quickly and understand you are seeing a column alias.

Depends on the one writing the code:

SELECT

field1 = 'string',

fieldname2 = 'a longer string',

longerfieldname3 = case

when condition then result

else otherresult

end

FROM table;

versus

SELECT

'string' AS field1,

'a longer string' AS fieldname2 ,

case

else otherresult

end AS longerfieldname3

FROM table;

Which of the above examples makes it easier to identify the column name?

There is no solution to this one. My recommendation is to develop a coding standard for you shop, and stick with it.

• Haha this is the most pedantic thing ever 🙂 Sometimes I learn a lot from these questions, but this is just abstruse trivia

I picked 3 b/c I didn't know you could use string literals... not sure why that would ever be useful though. I wonder if you could pass in a variable as the alias?

• RLilj33 (9/2/2015)

david.gugg (9/2/2015)

Xavon (9/2/2015)

Sean Lange (9/2/2015)

Depends on the one writing the code:

SELECT

field1 = 'string',

fieldname2 = 'a longer string',

longerfieldname3 = case

else otherresult

end

FROM table;

versus

SELECT

'string' AS field1,

'a longer string' AS fieldname2 ,

case

else otherresult

end AS longerfieldname3

FROM table;

Which of the above examples makes it easier to identify the column name?

There is no solution to this one. My recommendation is to develop a coding standard for you shop, and stick with it.

It also depends on the one reading the code. I think the second is much easier to read and tell the column names.

• The sixth one should have had brackets. That's been corrected. However, I missed a few since there could be no joiner (=/AS) in there, so it's probably more like 12. The CTE thing is interesting. Not sure I think this is an alias, as it's really a column name specified for the position, not an alias, but it is debatable.

The subquery one is also interested.

I'll award back points later. This likely isn't a great question.

• I do agree with the = and try to use it, precisely because complex code becomes hard to read when the name is buried far to the right of my screen. However my habit is "as", so I struggle to change and get some inconsistent code.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (9/2/2015)

I do agree with the = and try to use it, precisely because complex code becomes hard to read when the name is buried far to the right of my screen. However my habit is "as", so I struggle to change and get some inconsistent code.

LOL! And here I thought you had it all figured out 😉

We went back and forth on this with each developer doing something a little different. I, too, liked using = but found I was the only one doing so. In the end, we met as a team over the course of a year and developed a tSQL coding standard that we now adhere to. New code is consistent across developers (we will politely point out discrepancies to each other), and old code will be changed through attrition.

These standards provide us with stability. Over time I had been adopting new practices, so that my code today looks different from what I wrote a few years ago. The biggest driver of the standards is that we want to be able to compare older versions of a module against recent changes (using a text comparison tool) so we can quickly isolate the logic changes, without needing to filter through the "formatting" changes.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply