Column defined permission

• I work for a school district and our school secretaries need to have access to student Medical tables in order to transfer students between schools. The problem is that they cannot view the medical at all. All records are transferred at once and currently their Secretary role doesn not have any access to the Medical tables.

Can allowing Select permission on each column defined field for that table allow them to move student records without aloowing them to see the data in the fields?

My other question to this is by allowing Select on each field for those tables, how is that different from just just allowing Select to the entire table from the begining?

• What does "transfered to another school" entail, in database terms?

The SOP way to allow someone to perform operations on data without giving them direct access to the data is through Stored Procedures. You deny the user access to the data, but you enable the stored procedure to access it.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• As far as I know, you need to create views in order to grant permission on a column-level.

• Transferring to another school means, the program copies all student related tables that pertain to one student with one click of a button from one school to another. Demographics table, grades table, medical tables, discipline, etc.

Can you tell me the format of a stored procedure that will allow me to modify it according to my specifications?

• JALB (7/11/2008)

Transferring to another school means, the program copies all student related tables that pertain to one student with one click of a button from one school to another. Demographics table, grades table, medical tables, discipline, etc.

Can you tell me the format of a stored procedure that will allow me to modify it according to my specifications?

You would have to give us more complete specifications. For instance, saying that "transferring to another school means... copies.. from one school to another." doesn't tell mean anything that I need to know, because it's in usage terms, not database terms.

See this link for guidelines on how to present these things:http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/.

If you can provide us with some of this information, then I am sure that we can help you further.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply