Column name lookup

• I have two tables one is a lookup for the later which contains a column called 'columnname' this column contains the names of all of the columns in the second table. There is another column in the first table which holds a bit value indicating wheter the corresponding field is enabled or not. 2 Questions for the SQL Masters... First, how would I write a query that returns only the fields from the second table that are marked as enabled in my lookup table? Second, Is this bad design? Is there a better way to acomplish this?

• Using...

Select * from information_schema.columns

where table_name = 'my_table'

...should give you the column names of the table you want to query column names for. Then put a WHERE clause in your SELECT statement to display only enabled fields.

HTH

Billy

• I want to return the field values for the fields that are enabled not just the names of the feilds. Returning field names is the easy part 😉

• You might try something like this (I didn't actually run this in SQL so you might need to adjust it)

DECLARE @selSQL NVARCHAR(2000), @colList VARCHAR(1500)

SET @colList = ''

SELECT @colList = @colList + CASE WHEN @colList = '' THEN '' ELSE ', ' END + columnname FROM Table2 WHERE enabled

SET @selSQL = 'SELECT ' + @colList + ' FROM <SourceTable> WHERE <condition>'

EXEC sp_executesql @setSQL

It that close to what you are looking for?

Guarddata-

• Ok, but what I need is to be able to join the result for each column with it's column name. So each row would have the column name and the column value. How could this be done?

• Oops - went horizontal when you wanted vertical

DECLARE @colName VARCHAR(30)

DECLARE enabledCol CURSOR FOR

SELECT columnname from TABLE WHERE ENabled

OPEN enabledCol

FETCH NEXT FROM enabledCol INTO @colName

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

SET @selSQL = 'SELECT ''' + @colName + ''' ColName, ' + @colName + ' colValue FROM <sourcetable> where <condition>

EXEC sp_executesql @selSQL

FETCH NEXT FROM enabledCol INTO @colName

END

If you needed to, you could probably put this into a temporary table but you would need to convert the data (probably to a string) in the "colValue" column.

Getting close?

Guarddata-

• An alternative is, if the bit values do not change to 'often' use a view and a trigger that will redefine the view when a bit is flipped. Assumption: often implys once a day of less.

• Thanks Guarddata,

Any suggestions on how I could output this into one select statement. I need to return the result to the application level with one select statement...

• Just one result set? Sure.

Create temporary table

cursor

insert into temptable

exec sp_executesql @selSQL

deallocate cursor

select * from temp table

(Hope that's not too sketchy)

Guarddata-

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply