combine NLB and database mirroring

• Guys I would like to know has anyone here used NLB with SQL server database mirroring? I'm interested in this setup for a Sharepoint Farm however I can't seem to find any documentation on it. I'm curious in seeing how this would work since in database mirroring there is only one active Principle database for clients to hit. If anyone here has any experience with NLB combine with database mirroring please share?

• I didn't think you could load balance a mirror since there is only 1 principal SQL server? Unless you're thinking of having 4 servers where 2 are load balanced principals and each with a separate relationship to their own mirror servers? We're about to set up a mirror for the first time so I'd be interested in replies too. Thanks.

Gary

• you cannot load balance with mirroring.

We have a load balanced sharepoint farm here and each site has its own set of sharepoint databases.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• mstephens1754 (1/18/2010)

If anyone here has any experience with NLB combine with database mirroring please share?

SQL Server cannot be load balanced. What's done with sharepoint is to use NLB with the web farms and then mirror the DB (purely for high availability). Database mirroring is not a scale-out solution. It's High Availability

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I want to use it purely as a failover mechanism not for load balancing I understand that the mirror server will be out of the rotation until I fail over. According to this article it can be done but I'm having a hard time finding documentation.

http://blogs.technet.com/wbaer/archive/2007/08/01/sql-server-2005-database-mirroring-and-windows-sharepoint-services-3-0-microsoft-office-sharepoint-server-2007-part-3-failover.aspx

• mirroring is at the database level, does not matter where the connections to the database come from, you just mirror the database, so NLB does not come into it.

Our other sharepoint installation we currently mirror in high safety mode all the dbs for HA (abut 25 dbs currently).

• Ok do you use NLB with the mirroring if not the only way you can reconnect sharepoint during a failure is through the use of a sql server alias. I don't want to have to go on my front end sharepoint servers and update the ip address of the alias to point to the new principle server. I'm sure I can write some kind of a script that would update the ip of the alias however I would rather us something like nlb where the process is more automated

• mstephens1754 (1/18/2010)

Ok do you use NLB with the mirroring if not the only way you can reconnect sharepoint during a failure is through the use of a sql server alias.

Not at all.

If your app is using the SQL Native Client drivers (and sharepoint should), then it can do client-side redirecting. Essentially the SQL connection knows that there's a mirror and when the principal cannot be reached it will automatically try the mirrow.

Network load balancing doesn't come into this anywhere.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • we use DNS alias's.

If there is any other procedures from the sharepoint end to handle the different server name I am not sure, my responsibility is for the databases only.

• If Sharepoint uses a post SQL 2005 client, a SNAC client, you put both addresses in the connection string.

http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1289

• Guys I see your point I have several none sharepoint apps that use db mirroring and I have the native client installed on the box so the app is mirroring awhere. So it sounds that I need to install the native sql 2008 client on the sharepoint boxes than tweak the web apps connection string

• I think that's correct. Just add that failover partner to the string and you should be OK

• Hi:

could you be able to use NLB with DB mirroring? I also have the same problem: multiple applications uses DB and it will be hustle to change all of them to accommodate mirror fail over. I am looking for solution to have one default IP that all application could use and this IP will always point to active server.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply