COMBINE ROWS OF ONE TABLE

• I have a table with obj_id (key) and MATRIX_CAT (LOC1 or LOC2) and MX_VALUE (location of asset). Curiously, one asset can have more than one location. How can I with TSQL, combine in one query the obj_id, both locations if they exist and the names? Thanks.

OBJ_ID MATRIX_CAT MX_VALUE

7782 LOC1 BOARDROOM

7782 LOC2 WIL

7783 LOC1 STEVE'S OFFICE

I want:

7782, LOC1, BOARDROOM, LOC2, WIL

7783, LOC1, WIL, LOC2, ''

• It ain't pretty, but it's a start. This will run faster than doing it with a cursor or a while loop.

You'll probably need to create another cte with the distinct values of the location column and join it in

to get your desired result of 7783,Loc1,Steve's Office,Loc2,''. If you need help with that, just holler.

Have a good weekend.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

declare @tbl table (rownum int identity(1,1), objid int,matrix_cat varchar(10), mx_value varchar(20), work varchar(1000))

declare @work varchar(1000)

set @work = ''

insert into @tbl

select 7782,'LOC1','BOARDROOM',''

union all

select 7783,'LOC1','STEVE''S OFFICE',''

union all

select 7782,'LOC2','WIL',''

order by 1,2

;with cteprevious as

(select * from @tbl)

update @tbl

set @work = work = case

when t.objid= isnull(c.objid,'') then @work+', '+t.matrix_cat+', '+t.mx_value

else t.matrix_cat+', '+t.mx_value

end

from @tbl t

left join ctePrevious c on c.rownum = t.rownum-1 and c.objid = t.objid

select cast(objid as varchar(10))+', '+max(work) as result

from @tbl

group by objid

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• He double posted.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic584195-338-1.aspx

Seth Phelabaum

Consistency is only a virtue if you're not a screwup. 😉

Links: How to Post Sample Data[/url] :: Running Totals[/url] :: Tally Table[/url] :: Cross Tabs/Pivots[/url] :: String Concatenation[/url]

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply