Combining XML records in a custom logging table for auditing

• I've created Delete, Insert, and Update triggers for a few of our core tables to log the changes as a single XML field to a Log table, which is working great, but I'm not sure how to bring all that data back together to generate a report of changes to the table.

Here's some SQL showing an example of how I set it up for the Delete trigger:

[Code="SQL"]

CREATE TABLE Accounting (ID NUMERIC(18,0) IDENTITY NOT NULL, NAME NVARCHAR(100))

GO

CREATE TABLE LogData (

NVarchar(100), [Modification] NVARCHAR(10),RowsAffected NUMERIC(18,0), [Data] XML)

GO

Create TRIGGER tgrAccountingDelete

ON Accounting FOR DELETE AS

INSERT INTO [LogData] (

[Table],

[Modification],

RowsAffected,

[Data])

SELECT 'Accounting',

'Delete',

(SELECT COUNT(*) FROM DELETED),

(SELECT * FROM Deleted FOR XML AUTO, ELEMENTS)

GO

INSERT INTO Accounting (NAME) VALUES ('Test1'),('Test2'),('Test3')

GO

DELETE FROM Accounting WHERE ID = 1

DELETE FROM Accounting

Go

SELECT * FROM LogData

Go

DROP TABLE LogData

DROP TABLE Accounting

GO

[/code]

LogData table contains this:

TABLE Modification RowsAffected Data

Accounting Delete 1 <Deleted><ID>1</ID><NAME>Test1</NAME></Deleted>

Accounting Delete 2 <Deleted><ID>3</ID><NAME>Test3</NAME></Deleted><Deleted><ID>2</ID><NAME>Test2</NAME></Deleted>

Is it possible to write a process to parse the Data column and make it selectable or possibly present the data in a report so we can see what changes have been made? This is a very watered down version of the process I have in place, what I have also brings in the username and more info on who changed the record.

Thanks for any suggestions --

Sam

• Perhaps this post would be of help?

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic997589-21-1.aspx

It was a question I posted in the XML forum last week. I needed to extract a piece of data from my XML fragment based on the value in another column in my error table.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply