Comments of Table and Columns

• I have a set of comments on table and its columns in oracle.

I need to put it in sql server.

Each time i need to go to Design table and place the description.

I would like to know do we have script of executing it.

or any alternative way.

Thanks in advance.

• Check BOL, under syscomments. You can also include comments when you create/modify your tables in SQL statements in QA or enterprise manager. These comments are not compiled and do not add to the size of the compiled program (statement).

HTH Mike

• Take a look at extended properties in Books Online. These are how Enterprise Manager manages the description property. The property should be called MS_Description to show up in Enterprise Manager.

• Please see below example

sp_addextendedproperty 'caption', 'One digit identifier of system.  See TimeSystem table for more information', 'user', dbo, 'table', 'Your Table Name Here', 'column', 'TimeSystemID'

GO

sp_addextendedproperty 'caption', 'up to 4 digit identifier of either store/warehouse/support building', 'user', dbo, 'table', 'Your Table Name Here', 'column', 'Location'

GO

sp_addextendedproperty 'caption', 'date of the punches/absences', 'user', dbo, 'table', 'Your Table Name Here', 'column', 'RecordDate'

GO

sp_addextendedproperty 'caption', '''P''unch or ''A''bsence', 'user', dbo, 'table', 'Your Table Name Here', 'column', 'RecordType'

GO

sp_addextendedproperty 'caption', '1 for record to load, 0 for no records found/to load', 'user', dbo, 'table', 'Your Table Name Here', 'column', 'NumRecords'

GO

sp_addextendedproperty 'caption', 'This is to be used for restartability to avoid redoing same portions of updates', 'user', dbo, 'table', 'Your Table Name Here', 'column', 'ProcessedDtTm'

GO

SELECT SO.[name], colid, SC.[name], ISNULL(SP.[value], 'Not provided') [Column Description]

FROM sysobjects SO

INNER JOIN syscolumns SC

ON SO.[id] = SC.[id]

LEFT JOIN sysproperties SP

ON SO.[id] = SP.[id]

AND SC.colid = SP.smallid

WHERE SO.[name] = 'Your Table Name Here'

ORDER BY colid

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• To list extended properties you can use fn_listextendedproperty instead of querying system tables though. And like I mentioned above, if you want to see them in EM then the special name MS_Description should be used.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply