Common storage for servers including clusters

• Would anyone be able to enlighten me as to whether it is possible to use a common network storage device across multiple SQL servers. One server is part of a cluster running SQL 7 and the other is a standalone SQL 2000

• It depends on how you mean use. If you mean share the exact same databases at the same time, no. (Two instances on the same server can't do this either.) If you mean both have access to the network resource and be able to utilize it distinctly, the general answer is yes. Can you give us a bit more about the setup and how you're trying to use it?

K. Brian Kelley

bkelley@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.truthsolutions.com/

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Thanks for your reply Brian.

The servers would be looking to utilise the storage distinctly, enabling us to have one common shared location for storing all our db's. I don't know too much about the setup as I'm a software engineer, so I can't add any further details here except the SQL 7 Cluster is a cluster of 3 servers. I think you've confirmed my suspicions though. In your mind, would this be a headache to implement and are there any major hurdles that I might encounter ?

• The big drawback to your scheme would seem to be effective I/O performance.

Not only are your servers accessing remote storage; so you have speed issues for network bandwidth vs. local SCSI bandwidth, and have latency due to network traffic collisions; but once the data gets to the disks, you're also going to be having collisions as the servers try to get data on and off the same physical volume.

What's the prime motivation for doing this?

• Thanks for you feedback.

I've been assured that network bandwidth shouldn't be an issue (Found out its an 8 disk 10 way array over 100mb fibre channel).

The primary reasons for doing this would be to seperate out logs and data, provide overflow disk space for staging data and to perform index and table scans independently using seperate disk I/O.

Does anyone know of / have links to any whitepapers / articles covering this kind of thing, having rummaged TechNet quite intimately to no avail.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply