Commuting Pain

• TravisDBA (2/23/2011)

The mindset of most managers will never support this at most companies. Most managers I know need to know you are on site to verify you are working. That is reality.:-D

Travis,

I'd never expect you to quit, and I'd hope that you wouldn't think this is a lost cause.

That is the mindset of many people, but there are plenty that have learned this isn't rational or even good for their own position. You can make a case and start to show managers that telecommuting can result in more work getting done.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (2/24/2011)

TravisDBA (2/23/2011)

The mindset of most managers will never support this at most companies. Most managers I know need to know you are on site to verify you are working. That is reality.:-D

Travis, I'd never expect you to quit, and I'd hope that you wouldn't think this is a lost cause.

That is the mindset of many people, but there are plenty that have learned this isn't rational or even good for their own position. You can make a case and start to show managers that telecommuting can result in more work getting done.

A company should take their employee's needs into considering before they choose to relocate their offices to the other side of town. I know there is a lot of vacant office realestate nowadays, and perhaps the company feels they can save a ton of money by moving somewhere offering cheaper rent rates. However, that's only a temporary situation, and rates will eventuallty go back up across the board. They could instead try using the current market conditions to re-negotiate a deal with the current landlord and then stay put.

Depending on the type of business, perhaps they think that it's somehow beneficial to be physically located closer to their clients. However, the clients arn't the ones who have to drive into the office every day (generally speaking).

If a company relocates, and then refuses employees the option to telecommute, then they really place people in a compromised position. Nobody likes to pull up roots and give up their seniority by starting over at another job, but spending 3 hours a day behind the wheel of a car is tough as well. The employer should expect a 30% turnover rate within the first year, especially for IT staff.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• That happened when United moved from Seatle to Chicago. Some people did not move and there was some turnover.

I've had a company do that and they tried to work with people, but some moved on.

That happened when United moved from Seatle to Chicago. Some people did not move and there was some turnover.

I've had a company do that and they tried to work with people, but some moved on.

What would be especially difficult is a situation where one's employer wants to relocate offices from a metropolitan area with a hot IT job market to some remote location where there are fewer IT jobs.

I'd rather stay put and be temporarily unemployed in a hot IT market. I'd take that risk before I would put a for-sale sign in my front yard (taking a loss due to the bad realestate market), relocate my family, and then potentially end up getting stuck there without a job, without friends or extended family members nearby, and few job opportunities. Sometimes it takes more courage and can be more rewarding to stay put than it is to follow someone elses lead.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

TravisDBA (2/23/2011)

Travis,

I'd never expect you to quit, and I'd hope that you wouldn't think this is a lost cause.

I'm not sure what my comment on the mindset of most managers today on telecomuting has to do with quitting. I never said that I was against telecommuting. I was just stating the reality of the mindset of most managers that I have worked with in the past. Most are against it because they do not trust their employees to do a honest day's work remotely. That's just reality and monitoring someones connect time on a VPN or a browser does not mean they are necessarily working. Or does having their butt parked in a chair at work mean that either. But that was not my point anyway, I was referring ti the mindset against it, not whether one or the other actually works in practice.:-D

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• I would really enjoy working from home 1-2 days a week. Regaining the commute time would be extremely beneficial.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• When it comes to telecommuting, I'm an odd duck. I'm almost always an hourly consultant, and just about every employer wants chair warming to be part of the position. I've learned to live with that, and consider telecommuting a blessing when I can do it. The lack of distractions, being calm and collected rather then screaming at cars through the commute, having my teapot sitting on my desk and having a smoke when I want it are all plusses to me.

On the flipside, VPN is always laggy. I've never seen immediate response from any telecommute position I've been in... and my Internet speed is costing me a fortune for my first person shooter connections. I also get undisciplined after a while. 1/2 days a week is about where I'm good at, but I need to get better at it. I just haven't had the chance to do it enough to make sure I behave myself.

So, there's plusses and minuses to both sides.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• TravisDBA (2/23/2011)

IMHO, I think that this is because the managers haven't been taught how to manage employees not at the work place - they've been taught only how to manage face-to-face.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• IMHO, I think that this is because the managers haven't been taught how to manage employees not at the work place - they've been taught only how to manage face-to-face.

This is a very good point and one that I had not considered. Slow VPN is another one.

• WayneS (2/28/2011)

TravisDBA (2/23/2011)

IMHO, I think that this is because the managers haven't been taught how to manage employees not at the work place - they've been taught only how to manage face-to-face.

Exactly, so now that you understand that the mindset is there, who is going to teach the people at the top of the food chain to change their mindset? Themselves? Lasting change in any organization must always be embraced from the top down and I just don't realistically see this (telecommuting) happening in most management I have dealth with in the past.. Now on the other end, I have never seen true change last in any organization that attempts change from the bottom up.:-D

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• TravisDBA (2/23/2011)

Travis:

Your comment (which I agree with) meshes nicely with Steve's editorial on Drive[/url].

Peter

Peter MaloofServing Data

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply