compare procedure of same database on different sql server

• hi, everybody....

we have two server one for QA and one for developer in both they are keeping their sp in same database but sometimes same procedure we found so much difference in both ...so need to know is there any way to compare procedure are they same or not....please don't give me in reply that we can do that through redgate... i want to do that through procedure or anything else but without using any external tool... ....reply's are most welcome

Raj Acharya

• Hi,

You could probably develop a software application yourself in order to do this for you but I say why re-invent the wheel.

There are some great tools available in the market that are reasonably priced and can do exactly what you are looking to do, for example RedGates SQLCompare of Quests Change Director[/url].

Both products have a free trial period so you could certainly use either one for your pending needs and perhaps use try them out in order to build a business case.

John Sansom (@sqlBrit) | www.johnsansom.com

• hi john you are right you think that why i m not using available software ...actually i have redgate....but want to know there in sql there is any way through we can do that....or any idea .....so it can be so much useful ....for our knowledge.......if we always dependable on tools i don't think so that's good practice

Raj Acharya

• Hi,

I can see your point and agree with you. Expanding your points, there are benefits to understanding the internals of how any given process works.

However, I am also a firm believer in getting the job done and delivering the desired results for the business as efficiently as possible. Just because one knows how to get the job done a certain way does not mean it is necessarily the right path to choose after all.

I suppose if a DBA were relatively new to SQL Server then there would be benefits to creating a bespoke solution in order to deliver the project.

Ultimately the business drivers and objectives of a given project are what influence my own personal problem solving approach but I digress.

• hi i m agree with you but actually i have already compared sp through redgate....for my company's work....so i am not doing that type of practice through that waste my company's time and believe to do job as soon as possible...firstly if i got free tool or any thing else ...but i post this problem here for my personal knowledge....so that is not a problem that we are wasting time .....but i am doing this kind of R & D when i am free or i have completed my work....

Raj Acharya

• If you were to look to develop your own solution, perhaps you could start by investigating the contents of INFORMATION_SCHEMA.ROUTINES

The following article demonstrates how to search stored procedure source code for a specific string.

http://databases.aspfaq.com/database/how-do-i-find-a-stored-procedure-containing-text.html

The discussion here looks at using sys.comments as an alternative.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/9453f6ad-ef4e-4596-805c-7154f03d029d%5B/url%5D

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply