Comparing Strings......

• Chris Morris (3/31/2008)

Matt Miller (3/31/2008)

If you're trying to make sure that they don't re-enter existing clients - why not force them to go through the existing list of customers FIRST? Like - a DDL with compeny names, or a search screen? Or a few nag screens when they are trying to add something new (are you SURE this is a new company? No, as in REALLY REALLY SURE? How about now?). The people doing the data entry are likely to be the best people to make that determination (since they would presumably have all of the info in front of them), so making it a clean-up problem instead of preventing the problem is ultimately a bit wasteful.

Free-text typing key info that's already being tracked in a reference table is always dodgy.

Spot on, Matt. I've seen something like this working really well for company input and that's what Ahmad expects to implement. I'm sorry if this isn't clear from my posts and stand totally corrected.

Cheers

ChrisM

Hi,

I absolutely agree with both of you..but this is a clients request and the reason behind this is...

My Client is well known Computer hardware sales company...and they want this for their sales department.I gave them a similar suggestion, however they told me that Every sales agent has different sets of customers to whom they sell.A company in a same region can't be owned by 2 different agents of that region.Now the prblm arises when an agent gets info abt the sales made to a customer of it fellow agent and he then adds that company to his list with a slight chnge in company name and then gets it closed.Thus in this case ... ur proposed logic fails(as per me)....

Thanks

Ahmed

Regards,
    [font="Verdana"]Sqlfrenzy[/font]

• Ahmad Osama (3/31/2008)

this will be a good logic to implement on a smaal list or one shud maintain a table right from the start.

That's actually the logic you may find implemented in any on-line banking application.

When you set up a new payee you need to select from the list of legitimate account holders.

You may type some string to help the application to find the closest matches but at the end you must select one from the list.

And that list is not really small. 😉

• Ahmad Osama (3/31/2008)

Hi,

I absolutely agree with both of you..but this is a clients request and the reason behind this is...

My Client is well known Computer hardware sales company...and they want this for their sales department.I gave them a similar suggestion, however they told me that Every sales agent has different sets of customers to whom they sell.A company in a same region can't be owned by 2 different agents of that region.Now the prblm arises when an agent gets info abt the sales made to a customer of it fellow agent and he then adds that company to his list with a slight chnge in company name and then gets it closed.Thus in this case ... ur proposed logic fails(as per me)....

Thanks

Ahmed

Not at all - the drop-down can easily be made to account for who "owns" a client at any given time. Yes - you will always have some amount of clean-up, especially when/if people try to circumvent the rules. However - starting from a "free-text" environment just invites them to "play" the system and will make that cleanup (which will have to be manual) all the more lengthy.

Since you're also looking for distinct companies, you might care to compare more than just the name (since a name can be VERY similar or duplicated and still be a different company). A match on phone numbers, EIN, reseller number would all be "red flags" to me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Sergiy (3/31/2008)

Ahmad Osama (3/31/2008)

this will be a good logic to implement on a smaal list or one shud maintain a table right from the start.

That's actually the logic you may find implemented in any on-line banking application.

When you set up a new payee you need to select from the list of legitimate account holders.

You may type some string to help the application to find the closest matches but at the end you must select one from the list.

And that list is not really small. 😉

I absolutely agree with u sergiy...but I have to add new customer....I don't have to select it from existing customers.

Regards,
    [font="Verdana"]Sqlfrenzy[/font]

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply