Competing with an MBA

• I just started my MBA last week. Great timing Steve!

So far the two classes I'm in are polar opposites. One has been all about fostering and encouraging creativity as a manager to support innovation within a business. The other class is data analysis for decision making. We were also asked if we know what happened to the creative account? He went to jail. Creativity is good for managers not so much for the accounting department.

The program I've entered is with a private college and their focus is more on the team aspect throughout the MBA process, rather than a strict Econ or Financing hardline. I've found that on the surface many MBA programs talk a lot about teams and innovation, but through friends and coworkers I've found that many programs fall short, the program I've entered seem genuine in it's venture to work for creativity. Somethings you can learn...somethings you are.

However, I've got into a MBA program because I'm hoping to learn more about entrepreneurship and for the networking opportunities. I've already learned a lot about teams and leadership through military experience. An MBA definitely has tangible and intangible aspects, but who knows what the pay off will be until after everything is said and done.

Cheers,

Gabe

• gabriel.raymer (5/17/2011)

I just started my MBA last week. Great timing Steve!

However, I've got into a MBA program because I'm hoping to learn more about entrepreneurship and for the networking opportunities. I've already learned a lot about teams and leadership through military experience. An MBA definitely has tangible and intangible aspects, but who knows what the pay off will be until after everything is said and done.

My school offered an Executive MBA program that focused more on entrepreneurship and networking with an emphasis on corporate social responsibility. I found that in my MBA program there was little discussion about entrepreneurship and more focus on finance, accounting, marketing and other general big business items. This was also shortly after the Enron, Worldcom and TYCO scandals so financial accountability and accounting was a big deal.

• Kenneth Wymore (5/17/2011)

My school offered an Executive MBA program that focused more on entrepreneurship and networking with an emphasis on corporate social responsibility. I found that in my MBA program there was little discussion about entrepreneurship and more focus on finance, accounting, marketing and other general big business items. This was also shortly after the Enron, Worldcom and TYCO scandals so financial accountability and accounting was a big deal.

So far, the themes are "Everyone hates change" and "Change or die" in the business realm and management thought. Interesting in discussion but, since my previous degree isn't in mind reading, it makes it tough when taking quizzes.

It is quite amazing how schools can be fairly dynamic with their focus if the faculty is paying attention or out in the community. But, then again some schools won't budge on how things are done and become artifacts themselves.

• MBA - we have more VPs, Directors than IT workers?, who is going to do the real work? With US trade deficit thru the roof, are we ever going to produce real things again? (or just hand out MBA diploma for tuition money)

That is very good question that comes to my mind quite often lately, and a sea of dead weight.

Soft skills - to the extreme means politics? There is no way to measure it. If one can buddy buddy with the right connection, one can be promoted to a wrong but higher position, regardless the true ability. I have seen the situation. When you see an organization with high turn-over rate, that might be the case.

Soft skill is people with connections gets reclassified and get better pay.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Hello,

If you want to stand apart then you need to be specific. Saying "good communication skills" is a very general statement. If you think you have good communication sillks and it helped you at your work then mention a real time scenario where you have used it. For ex: Resolved conflict between X and Y in ABC project.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply