Concatenate 2 integer columns and check value in WHERE clause

• I'm trying to concatenate month and year columns and check the resulting date value to be greater than June 30, 2007. It doesn't work, however, and I'm not sure if this is the correct approach. I've tried several variations but none are working. Any help would be appreciated.

CLACCT - INTEGER

MONTH - INTEGER

YEAR - INTEGER

SELECT TOP 100

CLACCT,

CAST(MONTH AS VARCHAR(2)) + CAST(YEAR AS VARCHAR(4)) AS DATE

FROM cu102 (nolock)

WHERE DATE > 062007

• SELECT TOP 100 CLACCT, DATE

FROM

(

SELECT CLACCT, CAST(MONTH AS VARCHAR(2)) + CAST(YEAR AS VARCHAR(4)) AS DATE

FROM cu102 (nolock)

) D

WHERE DATE > 062007

• _ms65g_ (5/25/2010)

SELECT TOP 100 CLACCT, DATE

FROM

(

SELECT CLACCT, CAST(MONTH AS VARCHAR(2)) + CAST(YEAR AS VARCHAR(4)) AS DATE

FROM cu102 (nolock)

) D

WHERE DATE > 062007

this should be a lesson to never store parts of dates; store the whole date; much easier to work with,a dn you can derive the parts you need any time (month() or year() functions in your case)

the above example's not what you want i think, i'm sure you want to convert to datetime instead; 072006 if treated as a date, is less than 062007, for example, but in the example above it's treated as as text, and would be greater. that's unintended.

it's not a good practice to use nolock. remove that.

--how to build the date:

declare @month int,@year int

SET @month = 3

set @year = 2009

select DATEADD(yy,@year- 1900 ,'19000101 00:00:00.000'),

DATEADD(mm,@month -1,DATEADD(yy,@year- 1900 ,'19000101 00:00:00.000'))

SELECT CLACCT, DATEADD(mm,month -1,DATEADD(yy,year- 1900 ,'19000101 00:00:00.000')) AS DATE

FROM cu102 ) D

WHERE DATE > '20100512 00:00:00.000'

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thanks a lot for the responses!

I hear ya Lowell on breaking up dates and storing separately. Unfortunately this is an old legacy system where the database isn't controlled by the company that owns it (go figure). We have to use NOLOCK since there is so much contention and sensitivity about who is running what (I've fallen and I get up......).

• bigclick (5/25/2010)

.... Unfortunately this is an old legacy system where the database isn't controlled by the company ....

oh yeah I've suffered through that same situation before, I feel for you; It might make it easier for you to create views that do some of those calulations to dates for you, then use your views to do the bulk of the work, since it'd have your conversions alreayd in place.

Good luck on your project!

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Hi,

another approach would be to convert the year and month values to an int which can be compared and sorted like this:

SELECT d.CLACCT

FROM

(

SELECT CLACCT,YEAR*100 + MONTH AS YEARMONTH as mydate

FROM cu102

) AS d

WHERE d.mydate >= 200707

I often use something like this when working with week numbers.

Steffen.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply