Concurrent Administrative Operations - FULL BACKUP

• Hi all,

I came across the SS QoD as below:

Backups

Someone requests an adhoc full backup of your Sales database to be used for a reporting server. There is currently a scheduled full backup running right now. Can you start a second full backup running in SQL Server 2005?

I have answered it as 'YES' because I could take two simultaneous backups of AdventureWorks database in two separate query windows.

But it was wrong and also BOL http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189315.aspx states it is not possible.

But please could anyone explain how I could take the backups simulatanesoulsy of the same database in 2 separate query windows.

Thanks

Manoj

John

• bigM (4/1/2010)

But please could anyone explain how I could take the backups simulatanesoulsy of the same database in 2 separate query windows.

The second query will have to wait until the first backup statement finishes.

If u want to keep backups to two locations simultaneously(with a single statement), you may refer to MIRROR TO clause of backup statement.

Pradeep Singh

• Thanks.

I got it. Even though the second query gives no error, it will wait for the first to wait to complete.

Mean while, the second query shows executing .

Thanks

Manoj

John

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply