Conditional Group by?

• I am looking for a way to exclude rows that have a null value in a column if the are other rows that have a value in that column for the same name. if there are only nulls in that column i would like it returned with the nulls.

create table #tmp(name varchar(10),

email varchar(50),

code varchar(5),

location varchar(50))

insert into #tmp(name,email,code,location)

values('bob','bob@bob.com','ABCDE','USA')

insert into #tmp(name,email,code)

values('bob','bob@bob.com','ZYXWV')

insert into #tmp(name,email)

values('joe','joe@bob.com')

insert into #tmp(name,email,code,location)

values('joe','joe@bob.com','ABCDE','USA')

insert into #tmp(name,email)

values('dan','dan@bob.com')

select name,email,ISNULL(code,'') AS code,MAX(isnull(location,'')) as location from #tmp

group by name,email,ISNULL(code,'')

desired result

name email code location

bob bob@bob.com ABCDE USA

bob bob@bob.com ZYXWV

dan dan@bob.com

joe joe@bob.com ABCDE USA

I am looking for something that would theoretically be accomplished by the following code, although this code does not work.

select name,

email,

case

when code is null then (select isnull(code,'') from #tmp b where code IS not null and email = a.email)

else code

end as code,

MAX(isnull(location,'')) as location

from #tmp a

group by name,email,case

when code is null then (select isnull(code,'') from #tmp b where code IS not null and email = a.email)

else code

end

Bob
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How to post to get the best help[/url]

• How about something like this:

SELECT * FROM #tmp A

WHERE code IS NOT NULL

OR location IS NOT NULL

OR EXISTS (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM #tmp B WHERE A.name=B.name AND A.email=B.email GROUP BY name,email HAVING COUNT(*)=1)

HTH,

Supriya

• Here is one other way:SELECT

name,

email,

code,

FROM

(

select

name,

email,

ISNULL(code,'') AS code,

MAX(isnull(location,'')) as location,

ROW_NUMBER() OVER

(

PARTITION BY

Name,

Email

ORDER BY

CASE WHEN code IS NULL THEN 1 ELSE 0 END,

code

) AS RowNum

from

#tmp

group by

name,

email,

code

) AS T

WHERE

Code <> ''

OR (RowNum = 1 AND Code = '')

• Thank for the replies.

Supriya, I was able to use your example to get the results I needed.

Bob
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How to post to get the best help[/url]

• @Lamprey13: Nice trick using Row_Number(); going in my file of "SQL tips and tricks" 🙂 It had one issue though, your script ignores the row say when code is NULL but the location is not NULL. How do you take care of that?

@bob-2: glad it worked out for you.

Thanks,

Supriya

• Supriya.S (11/12/2009)

@Lamprey13: Nice trick using Row_Number(); going in my file of "SQL tips and tricks" 🙂 It had one issue though, your script ignores the row say when code is NULL but the location is not NULL. How do you take care of that?

I just was messing around with a query to get the expected results based on the sample data. At the time I was looking at the expected output no one had come up with a solution. While, my code produces the expected output, it probably doesn't cover everything. If I ahve some time I'll see if I can tweak it.

• Here's another solution based on ROW_NUMBER.

It covers the issue of having code is null and location is not null.

Comparing the two row_number solutions will result in almost identical execution plans.

The "Exists approach" does look a lot faster when just looking at the execution plan but when comparing statistics, it will be behind the two row_number solutions, for IO, CPU and execution time. (should be verified using larger data volume though...)

; WITH cte AS

(

SELECT row_number() OVER (partition BY name ORDER BY code desc, location desc) AS row,

name,

email,

code,

FROM #tmp

)

SELECT name, email, ISNULL(code,'') AS code, isnull(location,'') AS location

FROM cte

WHERE row = 1 OR code IS NOT NULL OR location IS NOT NULL

ORDER BY name,code

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• If you change my WHERE cluase to:WHERE

RowNum = 1 OR Code <> '' OR Location <> ''I think that'll work.

lmu92's solution and mine differ slightly because of there the GROUPing happens. So, the method one would choose would depend on the actual results desired...

Cheers!

• lmu92 (11/12/2009)

Here's another solution based on ROW_NUMBER.

It covers the issue of having code is null and location is not null.

Comparing the two row_number solutions will result in almost identical execution plans.

The "Exists approach" does look a lot faster when just looking at the execution plan but when comparing statistics, it will be behind the two row_number solutions, for IO, CPU and execution time. (should be verified using larger data volume though...)

; WITH cte AS

(

SELECT row_number() OVER (partition BY name ORDER BY code desc, location desc) AS row,

name,

email,

code,

FROM #tmp

)

SELECT name, email, ISNULL(code,'') AS code, isnull(location,'') AS location

FROM cte

WHERE row = 1 OR code IS NOT NULL OR location IS NOT NULL

ORDER BY name,code

Lutz, thanks for posting the query. That goes into my "SQL tips and tricks" file too. :-). Anyway I was wondering if you can please explain why my "Exists approach" will be behind in terms of IO, CPU and execution time. Will adding a non-clustered index on [name] and help? Comparing all three queries I saw the query cost of the exists approach is almost 6% while the other two came at 47%. Even checked the Subtree, CPU and IO costs on the execution plan and all are less for the exists approach. What am I missing here?

Sorry, if I am asking too many questions. 😀

Thanks,

Supriya

• Supriya.S (11/12/2009)

Anyway I was wondering if you can please explain why my "Exists approach" will be behind in terms of IO, CPU and execution time. Will adding a non-clustered index on [name] and help? Comparing all three queries I saw the query cost of the exists approach is almost 6% while the other two came at 47%. Even checked the Subtree, CPU and IO costs on the execution plan and all are less for the exists approach. What am I missing here?

Like I said: The "Exists approach" does look a lot faster when just looking at the execution plan. So we both figured the same...

After that I created the following "test scenario":

create and fill sample data

SET STATISTICS TIME ON

SET STATISTICS TIME ON

print 'row_number cte'

my query

print 'Exists approach'

your query

print 'row_number sub query'

Lamprey13' query

SET STATISTICS TIME OFF

SET STATISTICS TIME OFF

The results I got showed that the 'Exists' query took longer than each

Row_number query and had more IO's and CPU time.

Since we're not talking about a large number of rows I recommended testing it against a larger data volume and see which one of the three would perform best.

Will adding a non-clustered index on [name] and help?

Seems like your query would benefit most from this index due to the join (a table scan on one side and an index seek for #tmp B. The row_number solutions probably still will perform a table scan since code and location are not part of the index (would require bookmark lookup which most probably would be too expensive).

Again, testing against a larger data volume would help eliminate my guessing (I'm by far no expert on performance tuning compared to some of the folks around here...).

Edit:

For testing purposes you probably should change my ROW_Number statement from

to

SELECT row_number() OVER (partition BY name,email ORDER BY code desc, location desc) AS row,

in order to use the same assumptions like both of you did...

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• Thanks for taking the time out to explain Lutz, appreciate it.

Thanks,

Supriya

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply