Conditional Union

• was looking for a way to do a conditional union? The union is used within a view but depending on what criteria is passed to the view i would like to be able to have different statements unioned. following are a couple of examples that I am pretty sure do not work but can give some idea of what i am trying to accomplish.

ex1

create view view_a (id,col_a,col_b,col_c,col_d)

as

select id,col_a,'','','' from table_a

union

select id,'',col_b,'','' from table_b

union

CASE

when id = 1 then select id,'','',col_c,'' from table_c

else select id,'','','',col_d from table_d

ex2

create view view_a (id,col_a,col_b,col_c,col_d)

as

if(id=1)

BEGIN

union

union

select id,'','',col_c,'' from table_c

END

ELSE

BEGIN

union

union

select id,'','','',col_d from table_d

END

Bob
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How to post to get the best help[/url]

• You can't do that type of conditional logic in views. Study up on stored procedures. 😀

Personal Motto: Why push the envelope when you can just open it?

If you follow the direction given HERE[/url] you'll likely increase the number and quality of responses you get to your question.

Jason L. Selburg
  • You can't create a view this way. Where are you getting the id from in the case statement? It can't be from the earlier selects. I think what you need is a stored procedure with dynamic sql or cte's, or a user defined function.

If you post what needs to be done and the desired result we will probably be able to give you a solution

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Here is a link to another forum discussing parameterized views (which SQL Server does not have) which applies to what you want to do, I think.

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=73034

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Thanks for your replies. Answers my question perfectly. I will have to find a different way to accomplish what i am trying to do. thanks

Bob

• I think that the closest that you could get to this would be an in-line table-valued function. Instead of using IF .. BEGIN.. SELECT.., you would put the IF conditions on individual WHERE clauses attached to each SELECT that would null out when you wanted to exclude that branch of the UNIONS.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• thanks rberry, thats an interesting option except i dont have the luxury of changing the behavior of the application from using a view. Personaly, it gives me more insight on how to accomplish this (if needed) in the future

Bob

• Mind you, it would not necessarily perform very well.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply