Conditional Where clause which has 'in' .

• Hi,

i have to select rows from a table based on an 'in' . I will pass a parameter to the procedure which can be ALL, 0 , 1

ex.

[Code]

select * from tbNames where nId in (select nId from tbOldNames where nParent=@nParent)

[/Code]

now i want the where clause to be included only when @nParent= 0 ,1 or anyother integer.

Can this be done with case ?

Thanks.

• You'll have to excuse me, but I'm much more of a visual person, could you show us the various forms the query could take based on the various parameters passed?

• See if this is what you want.

select * from tbNames where nId in (select nId from tbOldNames where nParent=@nParent OR @nParent='ALL')

The above query will return all the records when you pass ALL and specific record when you pass anything other then ALL. This is as good as saying there is no where clause when you pass ALL.

You might want to pass NULL or 0 instead of ALL becuase if your nParent is int then you have to convert it to varchar while comparing the where clause.Anyway that should be your call 🙂

Thanks

Parul

• we still need to see the different scenarios that may be present inthe values provided in the variable.

• Sounds like you need dynamic SQL See this link or alternatively see this link [/url] for a "catch-all" query.

Any further questions , post back again

Clear Sky SQL
    My Blog[/url]

• To eliminate dynamic sql you could use an if statement like the following (used a simple date select to get the point across):

DECLARE @nParent NVARCHAR(3)

SET @nParent = 'ALL'

IF ISNUMERIC(@nParent) = 1

BEGIN

SELECT DATEADD(DAY,CAST(@nParent AS INTEGER),GETDATE())

END

ELSE

BEGIN

SELECT GETDATE()

END

• descentflower (7/6/2009)

Hi,

i have to select rows from a table based on an 'in' . I will pass a parameter to the procedure which can be ALL, 0 , 1

ex.

[Code]

select * from tbNames where nId in (select nId from tbOldNames where nParent=@nParent)

[/Code]

now i want the where clause to be included only when @nParent= 0 ,1 or anyother integer.

Can this be done with case ?

Thanks.

Greetings,

Here is a possible way for you.

SELECT

FROM tbNames

WHERE

(

(

nid in (SELECT nid FROM tbOldNames WHERE nParent = @nParent)

AND ISNUMERIC(@nParent) = 1

)

OR @nParent = 'ALL'

)

I surrounded this in parentheses so you could later add other parameters that also have their own as = or ALL check. The ISNUMERIC function returns 1 if the value in @nParent is a valid number.

Have a good day.

Terry Steadman

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply