Configuring alerts for operators

• Since you can only email one operator when a SQL Job fails I am trying to configure alerts to notify multiple operators.

Basically, I ran the following to create a new error

sp_addmessage 50001, 16, N'Job Failed.'

I then configured a new alert and specified error number 50001, and selected my operator account in the response screen.

I then ran

RAISERROR (50001, 16, 1)

I get the message:

Msg 50001, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Job Failed.

However, it is not triggering my alert. When I go to the history screen of my alert is shows the number of occurrences to be 0. Does anyone have any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

• My technique (SQL Server 2005) to capture all alerts using SQL Tokens and emailing the message.

Configure the alert and on Response select "Execute a job"..select the Raise Alert Error job.

Create a new job: called "Raise Alert Error".   Make this the first step of the job.

exec SendSQLAlert N'$(ESCAPE_SQUOTE(SRVR))', N'$(ESCAPE_SQUOTE(A-ERR))', N'$(ESCAPE_SQUOTE(A-MSG))' ,  N'$(ESCAPE_SQUOTE(MACH))',   N'$(ESCAPE_SQUOTE(A-DBN))'

create a stored procedure to send an email.  Modify the stored procedure to use smtp mail or sqlmail.  This format is for SQL Server 2005.

Create

proc [dbo].[SendSQLAlert] (

@Server as varchar(20),

@Error

as varchar(50),@Message as varchar(1000),

@Machine

as varchar(100),@DBName as varchar(100)

)

as

declare

@Subject varchar(500)

declare

@Body varchar(1000)

Set

@Body = @Error + '

'

+ @Message + '

'

+ @Machine

Select

@Subject = @Server + ' ' + @DBName

EXEC

msdb.dbo.sp_send_dbmail

@Profile_Name

= 'whateverl',

@recipients

= 'whoever@here.com; whoever2@here.com',

@Subject

= @Subject,

@Body

= @Body

• After reading your message again, I realize I didn't answer it.  Am not going to delete my post, but I am going to get your answer. 

• see if this helps.  This code looks at a queue table for records that have been sitting in queue longer than 5 minutes.  If it finds a record, it raises an error and sends emails.

Step1

Declare @nRet int

Select @nRet= count(*)

from  table (nolock)

where

DATEDIFF(minute, lastmodified, getdate()) > 5

begin

If @nRet > 0

RAISERROR ('System has halted. Please investigate ASAP.', 16, 1)

end

(this steps is in response to: If the job fails)

Email Failure

exec master.dbo.xp_smtp_sendmail

@FROM       = N'SQL.mail@test.com',

@FROM_NAME  ="[SRVR]" ,

@TO         = N'john.doe@email.com, jane.smith@email.com',

@priority   = N'High',

@message   = 'Paging has Halted.  Please Investigate ASAP',

@server = N'Relay.email.Net',   

@Subject    = 'Paging has Halted.  Please Investigate ASAP.'

Raise SNMP Trap (CmdExec)

opcmsg sev=critical app="OS" obj=sql msg_text="Paging has Halted.  Please Investigate ASAP"

• I believe what I'm trying to do should be completely supported. Basically I'll have steps in a job. If any of the steps fail they will go to a step that will RAISERROR and then the job will end. The configured alerts are supposed to catch that that error was raised and email the operators that are configured. I posted my steps in my original post, the error appears to be raised correctly, however the alert is not being triggered when that error is raised.

• Try using the "with log" option when you raise the error, e.g. "RAISERROR (50001, 16, 1) WITH LOG".  I don't remember exactly why it works, but this seems to be necessary for triggering alerts (something about the alert only "seeing" the error when it's written to the log).

--MIJ

• That did the trick. Thank you so much, it's been frustrating the heck out of me.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply