Confusing SQL Agent Issue in Clustered Environment

• Hi Friends,

We recently migrated our sql cluster to 3 new servers (n1, n2, n3). Now the issue we are having is when we flick over to n3 the agents will not start for the SQL2005 instances, the 2008 are fine. I've checked the agent service configuration and they are identical between n1, n2 and n3. But when we flick to n3 the agent returns the following error message

SQLServerAgent must be able to connect to SQLServer as SysAdmin, but '(Unknown)' is not a member of the SysAdmin role

Where is this 'Unknown' credentials coming from ?? We are using NT Auth for the SQL Agent Logon and it does exsist and it does have SysAdmin privileges just like the other 2 nodes... I’m confused!!

Would really love a little guidance if someone knows how to approach this issue 🙂

Many thanks

Mr J

Remember
    Without Change something sleeps inside of us that seldom awakens, the sleeper must awaken!!

• if you have a domain then create a separate ids as

sqlservice for database services

sqlagent for the database agent services

and add these 2 accounts in the server local administrator group and verify that Built-In administrator have sysadmin rights in the SQL Server ,if not then create these windows account in the sql server with domain and give sysadmin rights to them

if you dont have domain then create local account and then add these accounts in the administrator group and then follow the same as above

Regards,
    Syed Jahanzaib Bin Hassan
    BSCS | MCTS | MCITP | OCA | OCP | OCE | SCJP | IBMCDBA

My Blog
    www.aureus-salah.com

• add these 2 accounts in the server local administrator group

There is no need for any SQL Server service accounts to have local administrator authority (unless you are running SQL 2000 or below). All required priviliges can be granted to the accounts without any need for them to have administrator rights.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply