Connect local MS SQL 2005 Enterprise on Windows XP Professional

• Hi,

I have MS SQL 2005 Enterprise installed on a Windows XP Professional box. How do I go about setting up to connect (local) server? Thanks.

Chris

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Not sure I understand, please explain further.

• Hi,

Thanks for trying to help. I had installed MS SQL 2005 Enterprise on my Windows XP Professional laptop. I am able to connect to other remote servers. However, I could not register and connect my own laptop (or local). I got error: "...under default settings SQL server does not allow remote connections (provider: Names Pipes Provider, error: 40 - could not open a connection to SQL Server)...". My SQL Server netwok protocol seeting is: Shared Memory, TCP/IP and Named Pipe. I tried the same on a remote server which has the same protocol setting and was able to connect to local. Thanks.

Chris

• Hi,

Under SQL 2000 this pretty much always pointed to 1 thing, that the Network Protcols were not enabled. However, under 2005 this error seems to be far more common. The fact that you say you can connect from other machines means the server is up and running it seems really mad that you cant connect from your own machine! Maybe check the error logs for some more information.

I dont have any great ideas but this may help you rule a few things out:

http://blogs.msdn.com/sql_protocols/archive/2005/09/28/474698.aspx

Jon

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply