Connect to 2005 instance using 2012 SSMS

• I have a strange situation as 2 of the workstations will not connect to a 2005 instance which is housed on a VM... From my workstation I connect to the instance with no issue, but 2 other computers cannot connect. I looked at a number of blogs which stated that I would check that sql server allows remote connections and the answer is yes which i verified through the settings and being able to connect from my workstation. It also had me check the firewall; which appears to be good to go. I am at a loss here and do not what is the issue. The same workstation that cannot connect to the instance using 2012 SSMS can connect to the instance using 2008 R2 SSMS with no problem. Anyone have any ideas?

• Does it have something to do with the installation process?

• Telling us the exact error message would be a good start.

• I included it as an attachment, but I can see that it wasn't uploaded. Here ya go

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

• Try with the fully qualified domain with port no.

Example. Servername.domain.com\SQLinstancename,11001 (port no)

• Dude!!! It worked..... Why do I have to specify the port number on the previously mentioned workstations?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply