connect to Localhost but not 127.0.0.1?

• I am struggling to set a SQL Server Express for remote access...

Since it is the only instance on this server, I have set it up to use port 1433 by amending the IPALL entry of the Server Network Configuration, TCP/IP Properties.

I have also disabled "Shared Memory" and "Named Pipes" to leave only TCP/IP enabled as a server network config.

I have stopped the Browser Service because I think I don't need it if I use port 1433.

From the server itself, I can connect to my SQL Server through "localhost\SQLEXPRESS" or "servername\SQLEXPRESS" but not from "10.xxx.xxx.xxx\SQLEXPRESS" or "127.0.0.1\SQLEXPRESS"

Can someone explain this, please?

I suppose until I can access my server from itself using the IPAddress, there is no chance connecting remotely...

Thanks

Eric

• OMG!!!

I started the SQL Server Browser Service and can now connect to 127.0.0.1...

I can even access my server from another machine! 😀

Could someone try to explain this to me?

What exactly is this "SQL Server Browser" service doing?

Thanks

Eric

• Eric Mamet (7/5/2014)

OMG!!!

I started the SQL Server Browser Service and can now connect to 127.0.0.1...

I can even access my server from another machine! 😀

Could someone try to explain this to me?

What exactly is this "SQL Server Browser" service doing?

Thanks

Eric

First hit after highlighting SQL Server Brower Service above then right click and select Search with Bing:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms181087(v=SQL.105).aspx

• OOPsss :crying:

What I did not understand was why did I need the browser service since i was using port 1433 but I suppose the answer is that it is a named instance...

Thanks for the link. 😉

• Having said that, I still don't understand why, without the browser service, I could connect to "localhost\SQLEXPRESS" and not "127.0.0.1\SQLEXPRESS"... :blush:

• By default; the named instances including SQL Server 2005 Express Edition listen on dynamic ports. That's the reason you need to start the browser service on named instances and express editions.

Thank you,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply