Connecting developer to remote SSIS server

• I'm stumped on this one. I've set the correct dts role in msdb, and I've gone through the DCOM steps, but I still have to make the developer a local admin on the SSIS server for them to connect. Anyone know, off the top of their head, what I might be doing wrong?

And then again, I might be wrong ...
    David Webb

• David Webb-200187 (6/22/2011)

I'm stumped on this one. I've set the correct dts role in msdb, and I've gone through the DCOM steps, but I still have to make the developer a local admin on the SSIS server for them to connect. Anyone know, off the top of their head, what I might be doing wrong?

You are not doing anything wrong most things in SSIS and SSRS require Admin level permissions so you need to give the developer a developer edition. That can be used to do all development and deployment. And if you read the details of the MSDB roles you will know they are almost useless.

One more thing SSIS section of SQL Server require Windows permissions but deployment using all the deployment tools including the wizard require only SQL permissions which is less than Windows admin because you are just connecting to MSDB to add the XML file.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Seriously? I just want them to connect to the SSIS server so they can extract packages, work on the locally, and then import them back. For that they need to be local admins on the SSIS server?

And then again, I might be wrong ...
    David Webb

• David Webb-200187 (6/22/2011)

Seriously? I just want them to connect to the SSIS server so they can extract packages, work on the locally, and then import them back. For that they need to be local admins on the SSIS server?

That is correct so the way it is done is you get the packages out for them with a simple right click and export in the SSIS section. It is very easy, the only issue maybe error about permissions just open the package set it to dontsavesensitive protection level. If you have many deployed just locate it and export, we have many packages. We only develop test and deploy but to move between servers the system DBA takes care of that and we get development copy from either the DBA or source control depending on what is needed.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply