Connecting to SQL 7 DB using 2000 Enterprise Mgr

• I donโ€™t have any first-hand experience with backward compatibility between SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager and a SQL Server 7 database. Does anyone know if connecting to and modifying a SQL Server 7 Database (adding new fields, tables, views) using Enterprise Mgr 2000 will cause any ill effects on the database. I cannot convert the database because other developers are still on version 7 and I would prefer not to monkey around with multiple instances. I'm just a developer and will not be administering the database, only enhancing it's content. Thanks for your help in advance...

• I haven't had any problems and I've been running 3 7.0 SQL Servers from 2000 EM for a year.

Michelle

• One thing you need to be careful about is DTS packages. If you have the 2000 client you can build and execute packages just fine as long as you run them from a 2000 client. But if you try to execute a 2000 saved package with 7.0 it will not work. If I'm managing any DTS packages save on a SQL 7.0 machine, I try to always change and save them using a 7.0 client. Because 7.0 packages can run with a 2000 client, or a 7.0 client.

Possibly some 7.0 SP fixed this issue, but I'm not sure.

Of course if you should happen to edit a 7.0 package in 2000 and save it, and then you find 7.0 will not allow you to read or execute package, you can always try to open the older 7.0 version, and then save them over the top of the 2000 to fix you version issue.

Gregory Larsen, DBA

If you looking for SQL Server Examples check out my website at http://www.geocities.com/sqlserverexamples

Gregory A. Larsen, MVP

• Issues do exist but not with working with tables and such. The only real issues I have run into are these.

1) Opening EM and trying to connect to a SQL 7 database before EM finishes it's scan of Server states may cause an Memory Access violation. Wait until most show their state either stopped or running (some may not) before you try to connect and you will have less of an issue. Waiting to see if SQL 2000 SP3 will correct but I cannot say anything yet.

2) DTS packages with SQL 7 have known issues with 2000 EM when saving due to difference in encryption method. Update EM to SP1 or SP2 will correct by allowing you to save to SQL 7 encryption. Also, I guess because of so many issues reported even with that fix SP4 for SQL 7 can understand SQL 2K DTS encryption. Before that we ended up using Netop, PCDuo or Terminal Services to connect to the SQL 7 server and writing the package there if we had the 2K EM installed.

Other than those 2 have personally not ran across any other issues.

• Hey, thanks a lot to all the folks who have responded. I'm new to this forum and am -very- impressed with it's responsiveness and knowledge. Based on the feedback it looks like I should be good-to-go in using EM2000 like I wanted to. Not planning on doing anything with DTS. Thanks again... ๐Ÿ™‚

• Actually thats not quite correct, if the SQL Server 7.0 Server is running SP3 then the encryption format is shared with SQL2000. Of course if you use any of the SQL2000 tasks or properties (set them to a non default value) then this will cause issues. In this case I suggest saving as VB, then referencing the SQL7 version of the TypeLib and recompiling the package.

-Euan

quote:

One thing you need to be careful about is DTS packages. If you have the 2000 client you can build and execute packages just fine as long as you run them from a 2000 client. But if you try to execute a 2000 saved package with 7.0 it will not work. If I'm managing any DTS packages save on a SQL 7.0 machine, I try to always change and save them using a 7.0 client. Because 7.0 packages can run with a 2000 client, or a 7.0 client.

Possibly some 7.0 SP fixed this issue, but I'm not sure.

Of course if you should happen to edit a 7.0 package in 2000 and save it, and then you find 7.0 will not allow you to read or execute package, you can always try to open the older 7.0 version, and then save them over the top of the 2000 to fix you version issue.

Gregory Larsen, DBA

If you looking for SQL Server Examples check out my website at http://www.geocities.com/sqlserverexamples

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply