Connecting to SQL server 2000

• Hi, I am trying to install a SQL 2000 instance on a Windows Server 2003 SP2. I installed SQL Server 2000 Enterprise and SQL Server sp4.

I can connect from within the machine (mixed mode) using the sa account.

Attempts to connect from another machine are unsuccesful. I can ping the MS Server, but when attempting to connect to the sql server is not working. I turned profiler on, and the connection attempts don't seem to be reaching the sql server. Firewall on the server is off.

Can anyone help in trying to determine why I cannot connect?

Unable to connect to server ....

Server: Msg 17, Level 16, State 1

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]SQL Server does not exist or access is denied

Thank you.

• Have you checked the SQL Server Network Utiliity?

• Client Network Utility has "Named Pipes" and "TCP/IP" enabled

The port for TCP/IP is set to 1433 (default)

Server Network Utility has "TCP/IP" enabled

The port for TCP/IP is set to 0 (I have another machine with SQL server and XP that has a port set to 1056).

Not sure how to verify if those are the correct ports or not.

• R the Remote connection to your M/C enabled. In Sql Server u can look in the properties of the server and check on that tab where it says enable remote connection.

• Other possible reason could be yur firewall blocking that port which sql listens.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP
    http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com

• Server Network Utility has "TCP/IP" enabled

The port for TCP/IP is set to 0 (I have another machine with SQL server and XP that has a port set to 1056)

As you said above, change the TCP\IP port to some number (eg. 1533) and click apply ok. (If need create alias in the server)

Restart SQL services

Check whether you have enable remote connections

Try connect from your client machine as servername,portnumber (servername,1533)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply