connecting to sql server 2000

• I have an instance of  sql server(personal edition) on my personal machine and a .net application on a different machine. When I try to connect to the database from my appllication its saying login falied. But the login with which I was trying to connect is a valid one and I could connect to the database with that login from quesry analyzer and the userid is database owner of the database.

So what could be the reason for not able to connect to the database and how can I fix this issue.

Thanks

• Please, post the exact error message. Sometimes people say that login failed when the message is "SQL Server does not exist or access denied" which means that the app can not find the server.

Also, please check the authentication on every step. it could be that the app is running under .NET account or IIS account or something else. It is easy to check if you check the security log on the database machine to see who is trying to connect to your database server at the time you are getting the error message.

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• Login falied for user 'user1'.

This is the error I am getting and my database box is configured for mixed mode authentication.

I could not access security node at

• Start > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer
  • It says the event log file is corrupt.

So what I can do now?

Thanks.

• How are you connecting from the application?  What is the connection string?

• Hi,

to fix an event log:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/support/logfilesbad.mspx

Fix Corrupt Event Log Files

Published: September 10, 2001

One of the administrative tools in Microsoft Management Console, Event Viewer maintains logs about program, security, and system events on your computer. You can use Event Viewer to view and manage the event logs, gather information about hardware and software problems, and monitor Windows security events.

If Event Viewer reports on startup that one or more of your log files is corrupt, you can remedy the situation as follows:

Open the Event Viewer.

Rightclick on the corrupt log in the left pane and click Properties.

Click the Clear button in the Properties dialog box.

You cannot delete or rename the log files while the Event Log service is running.

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• Could be several reasons.  Make sure firewalls are not blocking access between machines.  I use VS for .NET application and the login sequence it uses works within VS to create and configure a Data Adapter and connection, but will not work for the application running.  Check the connection string used for Enterprise Manager on the local machine and then the connection string stored within the application.  I had to set up a connection string on my own and change the one generated by VS to get apps to connect.  Also make sure that the application loginID has permissions for any tables, procedures or access within SqlServer for what you are trying to do.  Any and all of the above will give that error, I fought it for a while till I figured out what was happening.

• Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply