Connection failure in Analysis service

• I am getting the following messages while connecting to Analysis services.

Unable to connect to the registry on the server (server name), or you are not a member of the OLAP administrators group on this server.

Thanks in advance

• There is other forum for Analysis service, this is probabley not a right place.

GO on the machine where you installed Analysis service, and go in users and group management. Click on OLAP administrator group. Add user, which you are using to connect in this group. Try to reconnect, should work.

• Thanks for your reply.

I already added user in the OLAP administrator group but still getting the same error.

• Migrate repository to SQL database, and give user access to that database( Not sure what is the min. access user need to have to this DB). Or try giving OLAP admin full control of msmdrep.mdb and msmdrep.ldb files. They should be in \Microsoft Analysis service\Bin\ folder. You might be hitting Microsoft bug # 12647.

• I checked those two files which you have mentioned by right clicking on the file and then click on properties option and then click on security tab. I see all the options are checked.

How can I migrate repositary database to SQL Server. What is repositary database.

Thanks for ur reply

• Right click on Analysis service DB, and click on export/migrate repository. You can migrate to Any DB of any server. I migrated to MSDB( so I know that DB won't be gone) and then give use permission to MSDB database.( try with DB owner, then you can take out permission if you don't need.)

• If you are trying to connect to Analysis Services from another machine, make sure the service packs on the server and the client are the same level.

• quote:

GO on the machine where you installed Analysis service, and go in users and group management. Click on OLAP administrator group. Add user, which you are using to connect in this group. Try to reconnect, should work.

I'm just starting with analysis services here so I'm a newby. I believe the user has to have rights on the bin directory as well as user rights.

• I don't think you need to have rights to binn directory.

• Do you try start the service by domin user?

• If Analysis Services on the server has been upgraded to Service Pack 3, you will need to run the SP3 update on every client that needs to connect to the Analysis Server. I believe this is the message you get if you havent upgraded your client. To prove this, you could terminal into the Analysis Server and see if it lets you login.

Andrew Keenan

http://www.iocore.com.au

Andrew Keenan
    Consultant, Business Intelligence
    Technology Services
    KAZ
    E andrew.keenan@kaz-group.com

• Just to confirm.., when I said connect to the Analysis Server, I meant through the Analysis Services Console.

Andrew Keenan

http://www.iocore.com.au

Andrew Keenan
    Consultant, Business Intelligence
    Technology Services
    KAZ
    E andrew.keenan@kaz-group.com

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply