Connection on and off with SQL Server Express

• Hi there,

I'm really puzzled by this. I'm using SQL Server Express installed by Visual Studio 2005, which installed it with Windows Authentication. I downloaded the Management Studio Express and installed it independently, and I was able to connect fine.

Now, all of sudden it gives this message when I try to connect:

Cannot connect to DCHAYTOR\SQLEXPRESS.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: -1)

Same error occurs with SQLCMD. Funny thing is, I can connect within Visual Studio 2005. What could be the problem?

Daniel

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• If you haven't done this already, turn on the ability for SQLExpress to receive remote connections.

All Programs > Microsoft SLQ Server 2005 > Configuration Tools >

SQL Server Surface Area Configuration.

Select the link for managing Services and Connections.  Then select "Remote Connections" from the Directory Tree structure which displays.  And, finally, select "Remote and Local Connections".  (I suggest choosing the "TCP/IP only" sub-option).

This will allow SQLExpress to receive a connection.

• Thanks for this advice. I had already uninstalled the version installed with VS2005 and installed the SP1 download from microsoft.com using mixed mode authentication. It gave no problems after that.

Thanks again.

Daniel

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply