connection problem

• I am having problem connecting to an instance of SQL Server 2008 R2. I can create an ODBC conneciton but cannot connect using Sql Managemment Studio. i am receiving this error: TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

------------------------------

Error connecting to 'database\inst01'.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: -1)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=-1&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

• Try to use with port number and see if you can connect. If you can connect with port number than recycle your SQL browser service.

• Are you using a slash (/) or a backslash (\) to separate server from instance name ? Just a guess from experience 🙂

• You need to check the following things:

1) Is your SQL Browser running? Since you are accesing a named instance you need this service because normally named instances use dynamic ports, and this service helps the client to resolve the port in which the named instance is listening on.

2) The other thing you need to verify is that your TCP/IP protocol is enabled, you can check this in your SQL Server Configuration Manager.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Michael

• I am using Windows 7 64 bit could it be a registry setting. I can connect using a different PC.

• If you can connect from another PC different from the database server, then it could be a problem with the names resolution, please try conect to the instance with the IP of the server. Like this:

192.168.0.10\instance

Let me know how it goes.

• i am getting the same error. i have tried to un-install management studio but this did not work.

• have you try a ping to the database server?? does it works?

• From your windows 7 machine are you able to connect via sqlcmd ? What protocols are enabled on your server ? Named pipes, tcp/ip ? Combination of or only a single protocol ?

Is your browser running on your server ?

Have you confirmed your instance is setup to allow remote connections ?

Can you ping the server the instance is on ?

MCT
    MCITP Database Admin 2008
    MCITP Database Admin 2008
    MCITP Database Dev 2008
    www.jnrit.com.au/Blog.aspx

• Yes i can connect using sqlcmd with no problem. The server is Name Pipe, and TCP. Yes Browser is running on the server and i can ping the server instance also I have confirmed the the instance is setup to allow remote connections.

what is the best way to completely remove Management Studio. I tried to using the control panel but after i re-install all my setting came back. :w00t:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply