Connection to client failed

• Hi all,

I am new here as well as being just a newbie to SQL Server 2005.

I am working with SQL Server in a network environment. I have up to 20 clients which I administer from a central SQL Server. I was attempting to access one of the newly installed clients. However, the connection to this particular client failed. I checked all the Network protocols of the central server using MSQL Server Configuration tools, and all is ok and I can access all clients except for the one which fails. Can some one give me a hint on what I have to change or how to solve this problem?

Many thanks indeed for your help

MO

• Not sure if I follow you.

Is your problem that you are unable to access a client station from the server?

If this is the case... are you actually talking about a SQL Server issue or a Windows issue like not being able to RDC into that client machine?

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I am talking about SQL Server Issue.

I have a central SQL Server and I am trying access instances that are on remote clients. One of the remote clients does not let me in. This is not Windows issue, as I can access the remote client (machine) from the central windows server. The problem with the communication between Central SQL Server and the Client SQL Instances.

Thanks.

• Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I am talking about SQL Server Issue.

I have a central SQL Server and I am trying access instances that are on remote clients. One of the remote clients does not let me in. This is not Windows issue, as I can access the remote client (machine) from the central windows server. The problem with the communication between Central SQL Server and the Client SQL Instances.

Thanks.

• Gotcha, your "clients" are actual SQL Server engines.

-Can you ping the remote box by DNS?

-Can you ping the remote box by IP?

-Does the remote "client" SQL Server engine has a standard or a named-instance installation?

-Is the remote "client" SQL Server engine listening to standard port 1433?

-Have you tried to connect to the remote SQL Server engine by IP? including named instance if applicable? including non-standard port if applicable?

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Hi,

Yes of course, I can ping the remote box both by DNS as well as by IP.

The remote client has "MS SQL Server Service Manager" or the so called "Management Point" and it is running as I can see from the task bar. The green little arrows in ON.

How can I find out whether the client is listening to standard port 1433? I do not even have any access to this client.

Yes, I tried to connect using TCP/IP and named pipes.

The above procedures work for other clients I am dealing with. Nonetheless, this problem client doesn't want to accept.

Thanks a lot for your clues

Niyala

• Here is what I would do...

1- RDC into the remote box.

2- Open SSMS and open the local server

3- Run select @@servername to get the actual instance name.

4- Check error log, close to last startup you are gonna find the port SQL Server is listening at, something like...

2002 12 14 09:49:36.17 server SQL server listening on TCP, Shared Memory, Named Pipes.

2002 12 14 09:49:36.17 server SQL server listening on 192.168.1.5:1433, 127.0.0.1:1433.

...in this case SQL Server is listening at IP=192.168.1.5, port=1433

• Hi, there,

Your hints were very good, and yet they did not help me solve my problems.

Just another question. There is a new client that I want to access from my central server. In order to access the engine (the client) what shall I do except for connecting using the right authentication? Is there a way to register so that it can be accessed in the future using the connect button?

I know how to register, but I am not sure if this helps to access a client for the first time.

Thanks indeed

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply