Connection to SQL DB via Access 2000 (disconnected)

• Hi there,

I'm running SQL Server 2000 on XP SP2 and have succcessfully upsized an access 2000 DB.

I have no problem opening and accessing the .adp file from the server itself using Access 2003.

I have also allowed TCP access on the server to port 1433 and I have set SQL to use port 1433 aswell as TCP/IP. The client machine has also been set to use TCP/IP on port 1433.

When I attempt to access the SQL DB file across the network, from another machine - I can successfully create a Microsoft SQL ODBC connection to the server but when I open the DB file from within Access it 'thinks' for awhile and then opens up a window with the following in the title bar:

DB name(disconnected): Database

I can't see/access any Tables etc..

Any guidance as to how I would be able to allow my remote users to connect to this DB and view the tables would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Rhys L.

• Hi Rhys,

Have you also opened UDP port 1434, which SQL Server uses to establish communications links from applications?  Also bear in mind that if you have installed the SQL Server as a named instance it could be using a different TCP Port to 1433.

Have a look at "Connections to SQL Server Over the Internet" in the "Using a Firewall System with SQL Server" sub-section for some more info.

I've also heard that XP SP2 can stop the debugger working too!

Ed

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply