Connectivity issue from a client with apps that use both Server 2K and Server 2K5/Express

• Happy New Year folks.

I'm having problems connecting to a sql server 2005 box from a workstation.

Here's the setup:

1. Station A has two client apps - one (App A) that connects to SQL server A (2000 Enterprise) and the other (App B) connects to Station B which has 2005 Enterprise and 2005 Express installed.

2. Station B is the SQL Server 2005 Enterprise and Express 2005 server (both station A and B are running XP Pro SP2).

Here's the strange issue:

If I configure App B (on station A) to use Express 2005 everything works fine (TCP/IP and named pipes are enabled). However, if I configure App B to use Enterprise 2005, I recieve the following error:

An error has occured while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.

I have to be able to use both engines. The conversion from one engine to the other is automated via an export/import process (a user friendly wizard). Why does this only work for Express and not Enterprise 2005? I'm pretty sure that the 2000 app is probably related to this because if I remove it, I can get both engines to work.

Thank you in advance,

Sid.

-Sidster
    "You can have it done cheap, done well, or done fast. Pick two."

• Since you mentioned Windows XP SP2 you might want to check that the Windows Firewall is configured to allow the ports that each instance is listenting on.

• Yes - firewalls are disabled and I can telnet to ports without issues.

-Sidster
    "You can have it done cheap, done well, or done fast. Pick two."

• Taking the App A & B out of the equation, can you connect to both instances on that workstation using Query Analyzer or SSMS?

As you pointed out, if you remove one of the App A then App B can connect to both SQL 2005 versions, so that would lead me to believe that App B is picking up App A's settings from somewhere. You could use Process Monitor to figure that out pretty quickly, just start that up before running your application and that would show you if an INI or registry setting was being pulled from somewhere unexpected.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply