Conundrum

• Hi,

I have a user that appears to have sysadmin access to a server in that when I run the following command as the user I get the permissions that I would expect from a sysadmin:

SELECT * FROM fn_my_permissions(null,'database')

GO

CREATE TABLE

CREATE VIEW

CREATE PROCEDURE

CREATE FUNCTION

CREATE RULE

CREATE DEFAULT

BACKUP DATABASE

BACKUP LOG

CREATE DATABASE

CREATE TYPE

CREATE ASSEMBLY

CREATE XML SCHEMA COLLECTION

CREATE SCHEMA

CREATE SYNONYM

CREATE AGGREGATE

CREATE ROLE

CREATE MESSAGE TYPE

CREATE SERVICE

CREATE CONTRACT

CREATE REMOTE SERVICE BINDING

CREATE ROUTE

CREATE QUEUE

CREATE SYMMETRIC KEY

CREATE ASYMMETRIC KEY

CREATE FULLTEXT CATALOG

CREATE CERTIFICATE

CREATE DATABASE DDL EVENT NOTIFICATION

CONNECT

CONNECT REPLICATION

CHECKPOINT

SUBSCRIBE QUERY NOTIFICATIONS

AUTHENTICATE

SHOWPLAN

ALTER ANY USER

ALTER ANY ROLE

ALTER ANY APPLICATION ROLE

ALTER ANY SCHEMA

ALTER ANY ASSEMBLY

ALTER ANY DATASPACE

ALTER ANY MESSAGE TYPE

ALTER ANY CONTRACT

ALTER ANY SERVICE

ALTER ANY REMOTE SERVICE BINDING

ALTER ANY ROUTE

ALTER ANY FULLTEXT CATALOG

ALTER ANY SYMMETRIC KEY

ALTER ANY ASYMMETRIC KEY

ALTER ANY CERTIFICATE

SELECT

INSERT

UPDATE

DELETE

REFERENCES

EXECUTE

ALTER ANY DATABASE DDL TRIGGER

ALTER ANY DATABASE EVENT NOTIFICATION

VIEW DATABASE STATE

VIEW DEFINITION

TAKE OWNERSHIP

CONTROL

but the following command produces what I would expect from a standard user:

SELECT * FROM fn_my_permissions(null,'server')

GO

CONNECT SQL

VIEW ANY DATABASE

The user can read from any database even though they haven't been granted access to those databases. If I try to create a database or add a linked server as the user, I get permission denied. This is what I would expect but it doesn't explain why the first command returns "CREATE DATABASE" as a permission.

If anyone thinks they can shed some light on this, I would be very grateful!

• I'm going to go with explicitly granted permissions, or explicitly denied permissions. That's the best guess I can come up with.

My first thought was "regular login, granted database owner privileges", but if it extends to more than one database, that may not be true.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Is this true of every database? Also check to see if the user has CONTROL DATABASE rights by querying sys.database_permissions. If the permissions are implicit (coming from the server level), you shouldn't see any entries. But if it's explicit (meaning it was granted specifically against the database), then the permissions should show up in the catalog view.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Thanks for the replies. The problem was that the user's login was mapped to the dbo user. Although the user didn't have an individual login to the server, they were part of a group that had access. The login was mapped to the dbo user as this database had been moved from another server where the user had set it up.

I fixed this using sp_changedbowner.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply