convert a column of varchar data type to datetime

• Hi,

What is the best way to go about converting a column that has dates and is of varchar datatype to datetime datatype.

Thanks

KR

• Can you post an example to see the way you store it.

dd-mm-yy / mm-dd-yy etc...

Kindest Regards,

Roi Assa

• Well since it in in varchar format it may not be all in the same format but for most part it is in mm-dd-yy

Thanks

KR

• FOR format mm/dd/yy  ( 06/26/06 )

Select convert (datetime, '6/25/2006') 

will convert your varchar to datetime.  Instead of '6/25/2006' you can use variable provided you feed that variable with mm/dd/yy.

Kindest Regards,

Sameer Raval [Sql Server DBA]
    Geico Insurance
    RavalSameer@hotmail.com

• Thank you!

I am looking for more the best method of going about doing such a process - I was thinking that maybe I have to create a new column of datetime and then using CAST or Convert functions I could populate the new column with the data, cleanup any errors and then delete the old column.  I am wondering if there is a better process out there to do this type of thing.

Thanks

KR 

• It seems like youa re on the right track.  Create the new column copy the data using convert and then you'll have to scrub the data for any errors for times when people entered the incorrect data, or incorrect data format.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Thanks!

Well, that is what I will try then.

KR

• Just some observations

You will not be able to update the new column in a set based update unless all of your dates are valid or SQL will stop at the first invalid date with an error

You will need to check the date first

SET DATEFORMAT MDY

UPDATE

SET [newcolumn] = CAST([coldcolumn] as datetime)

WHERE ISDATE([coldcolumn]) = 1

you need to set DATEFORMAT to make sure you convert the correct dates

quote Well since it in in varchar format it may not be all in the same format but for most part it is in mm-dd-yy

How will you know which format?

eg is 01/03/2006 1st Mar or 3rd Jan

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

•  

Thanks so much for this input.  I was just considering it this morning, so I am glad to have this.  I guess I might need to modify the process depending on the number of variations in the data etc - will try to see if using excel to do the data scrubbing makes it any easier-  I don't have much experience using excel, but one of my collegues was suggesting to try it out.

thanks

KR

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply