Convert Float to a Phone Number

• Hello Everyone

I seem to always get the "Fun Stuff" to try and figure out. I have an entire table that was pumped out of Oracle. I even hate saying that word! LOL

There are a couple columns that are Float data type, and they are storing phone numbers as a Float data type. I am not able to CAST these into anything that is legible. Does anyone know of a way? Do you happen to know how?

This is one of the values that I made up that look like some of the others.

9.72732e+009

Thank you in advance, I greatly appreciate all your assistance, suggestions and comments on this.

Andrew SQLDBA

• I doubt you'll be able to recover the full number. Floats are imprecise beyond their guaranteed number of digits. You'll likely have to re-export the data.

That said, you could try changing the column type to decimal, letting SQL do the conversion for you, then test the results:

ALTER TABLE ... ALTER COLUMN ... decimal(18, 0)

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP(07, 08, 09) "Money can't buy you happiness." Maybe so, but it can make your unhappiness a LOT more comfortable!

• Thank You Scott

That is exactly what I thought as well. Nothing I can do about that. I looked at the original data.

Thank You for your assistance and suggestion

Andrew SQLDBA

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply