Convert table row values into column

• Hi,

I've seen this topic earlier here, but now I'm unable to find it.

I'm required to fetch data from 2 tables (master & child) in such a way that all a column from the child rows appears as a comma separated string.

E.g:

Table A

ColA    ColB   ColC   ColD

dhh     dshds   dsjkj  dsds

dsjd    rrr        www  dsda

Table B

ColA  ColH

dhh   388

dhh   9jgkk

dhh  8892nmjk

Something that will give the following output:

ColA    ColB    ColC   ColD  ColH

dhh     dshds  dsjkj  dsds   388, 9jgkk, 8892nmjk

It will be preferable through a Select rather than a UDF.

Thanks

Deepa

Deepa

• This is fairly simple if you are only after one ColA value. The following assumes @ColA as an input parameter to a stored procedure.

declare @MergedColH varchar(1000)

set @MergedColH = ''    -- Must initialize in case the next WHERE clause gets zero rows

SELECT @MergedColH = case when @MergedColH = '' then '' else ', ' end + ColH

FROM TableB

WHERE ColA = @ColA

SELECT ColA, ColB, ColC, ColD, @MergedColH AS ColH

FROM TableA

WHERE ColA = @ColA

• Aaron,

If I need to extract this way then I'll have to create a procedure. Is it not possible through a single SELECT?

Deepa

Deepa

• Not really. Technically it doesn't need a SP, it just needs the ability to run a SQL batch so that the two step process will work. The only way I can think of to do this as a single select is to use a UDF and you pooh-poohed that idea. 

There are other approaches I could come up with but they involve multi-step processes using cursors and/or temp tables or the one I gave you. Ultimately the UDF is the same deal, it just takes the first step and conceals it within a somewhat internal process.

The example I gave would work for most situations, but if you are trying to code this into an Access query, for example, or create a view from this then the only way I can see to accomplish it would be to use a UDF. If the UDF isn't allowed from whatever source is prompting this due to some incompatible syntax checking then you could define a view that uses the UDF to generate the results and then reference the view from your outside application.

• Thanks a Lot

Deepa

• You don't need to think of a way to this with the RAC utility for S2k.Check out the @concatenate parameter and RAC will create a table just as you want.Simple and hassle free

http://www.rac4sql.net

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply