Converting time from datime into INT

• declare @dte datetime

Select @dte = GETDATE()

@dte = 2016-10-31 11:42:51.920

Is it possible to convert Time (11:42:51.920) into an INT so that it looks like 114257 ?

• Yes., There's a few different ways, for example:

SELECT GETDATE() AS CurrentDateTime,

(DATEPART(HOUR, GETDATE()) * 10000) + (DATEPART(MINUTE, GETDATE()) * 100) + DATEPART(SECOND, GETDATE()) AS CurrentTimeInt

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• /* date included */

-- A sensible way

SELECT FORMAT(GETDATE(), 'ddMMyyyyhhmm', 'en-GB')

-- The Rube Goldberg way

SELECT LEFT(CAST(REPLACE(CONVERT(VARCHAR, GETDATE(), 103), '/', '') + REPLACE(CONVERT(VARCHAR, GETDATE(), 108), ':', '') AS BIGINT), 12)

-- The SQL# way. Why not, right?

SELECT SQL#.Date_Format(GETDATE(),'ddMMyyyyhhmm','en-GB')

/* just time */

SELECT LEFT(CAST(REPLACE(CONVERT(VARCHAR, GETDATE(), 108), ':', '') AS INT), 6)

SELECT FORMAT(GETDATE(), 'hhmmss', 'en-GB')

SELECT SQL#.Date_Format(GETDATE(),'hhmmss','en-GB')

My stack: VS2015 ~ C# ~ MSSQL 2014[/url] ~ DevCraft ~ ReSharper ~ DataGrip ~ Linqer[/url]

• Although format is easy, if you're applying this to a dataset, I heavily recommend against it. You'll find it to be incredibly slow.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• hoseam (10/31/2016)

declare @dte datetime

Select @dte = GETDATE()

@dte = 2016-10-31 11:42:51.920

Is it possible to convert Time (11:42:51.920) into an INT so that it looks like 114257 ?

Now that you have a couple of ways to do this, I have to ask WHY do you want to do this? Just like the mistake that MS made for job history in MSDB, times as INTs are a royal pain to do just about anything with. WHAT are you good folks looking to do with times converted to INTs?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply